0-Day Vulnerability in Internet Explorer Threatens Windows XP

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

stevejnb

Honorable
May 6, 2013
Yikes... Ok, I guess IE is out. Could some of you who say this is reason to not use IE direct me to.the browser that you use,which obviously must not have any security holes or other issues? Thanks.

Camikazi

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2008
Yikes... Ok, I guess IE is out. Could some of you who say this is reason to not use IE direct me to.the browser that you use,which obviously must not have any security holes or other issues? Thanks.
Might as well leave the internet now if you want a browser with no security holes or other issues because they do not exist.

stevejnb

Honorable
May 6, 2013

Oh, I know. I'm just constantly amazed at how many people use bug ridden, unsecure browsers but scream bloody murder any time a Microsoft product is revraaled to have an issue. Curious to know what the people who apparently jump ship every time a browser is shown to have a security hole use - that must be quite the browser that is not IE, Chrome, Mozilla, Safari, or Opera. Maybe Dolphin? I don't know much about it. That must be the mythical secure browser.

thejohnson

Honorable
Jan 27, 2014

Very good point! Oh Day sploits are unknown in general, but this, as you've said has been known about for years, yet not patched. Maybe XP has some features about it that are rather secure and MS wants to phase it out permanently? To my knowledge XP is officially no longer supported. It's all still proprietary code, no one except MS has the source, to their protection

You mean the same Java that is needed for certain websites on any browser? Or even Flash?

I just find it funny that people will load up Chrome and trash IE when Chrome has had as bad if not worse bugs and tracks the living crap out of you. Or the same can be said about Firefox. There was a day when Firefox was faster, more stable and secure but that day does not exist anymore. These days most browsers are within milliseconds of each other, which we will never notice, and have the same amount of security threats because they are popular enough for those hackers and exploiters to mess with.

There are multiple versions of the same exploit. One can be patched, another can be found. Sort of like the various versions of the FBI Virus that goes around.

MidnightDistort

Distinguished
May 11, 2012
I usually will keep at least 3 browsers installed, Chrome, Firefox and have Explorer just in case, there's always something i will need IE for as well so this is nothing new. Just keep up on the news when a browser or something goes awry and avoid using it. I do the same thing with system updates. I wait a while for anything that goes wrong and then install it by the end of the cycle. Also i don't click on strange links from unknown sources. I only got a virus or malware infection one time and that was during when adblock plus was not working right. You can get viruses from ads as well, at least in my experience i have.

Status
Not open for further replies.