Question 0xc000007b error when trying to start a game

djukic.djukic96

Honorable
Sep 2, 2017
Hello all.

Since I don't post often, please let me know if I violate some rules to make adjustments. Also, I'm aware that this might be a duplicate. Only reason for opening this is because I've already done all TS steps I could find.

So, at this point I get the error "The application was unable to start correctly (0xc000007b).", when trying to start games I have on my PC. At this moment, those would be NFS MW (2005), NFS The Run and LA Noire. All other executables (non-game ones) are working fine.

The problem started happening maybe 7-10 days ago. I had a lot of junk on my C drive (files that stayed there after I've deleted some programs) and went on to clean it manually (delete the programs, clean the files and so). After I day, I couldn't start ANY exe (for example, I couldn't even start Task Manager). I've probably deleted something I should have. I've reinstalled Windows to the latest version with "Reset this PC" option and then I got this problem (can't start game exe's). After that, I've consulted with Microsoft agent who recommended new reinstall with USB. I've did that, still the same.

I've already did most of TS steps I could think of or find on forums (here and Microsoft ones):
Installed all Windows updates
Installed all DirectX's
Installed all VC++ runtimes
Installed and updated .NET Framework runtimes
Updated all drivers
Installed the components with AIO (all in one)
Tried clean start
Tried to reinstall the game
Tried running in compatibility mode and as an administrator
Tried turning FW off and allowing the app thru it
Add missing DLL's that showed as missing dependencies

I should also probably mention that, maybe a month before this, my GPU died and I've bought another one, used one. It was working fine but I did notice, maybe a day or two before the first crash, small bugs in the NFS game (for example, not rendering the minimap). Also, I've tried to run Icy Tower, for some reason, and it works fine.

I've then, again, consulted with Microsoft agent, who checked the PC with remote login and didn't find ANY problems on the computer and told me that this is most likely hardware issue. At this point, I've pretty certain that is the problem. So, I'm just wondering if someone can give me some directions where to look. I'm not looking for a quick fix, mostly because I have a feeling that something is off with the computer and that this issue is the symptom of that. I wouldn't like if something worse happened to the pc in the near future. It's already scheduled for a visit to local store for checkup, so this is just food for thought. Also, I've made recently made an update for my HDD. I took out one which had bad sectors and placed this Toshiba one below. It's a brand new one.

Current configuration:
Intel Core i7-4770, SOCKET 1150, 1 CPU, 4 cores, 8 threads, Base clock 3.4 GHz, turbo 3.7 GHz (avg)
Nvidia GTX 680 Gigabyte(1458 353C) 2GB CLim: 1267 MHz, MLim: 1502 MHz, Ram: 2GB, Driver: 472.12
Samsung 850 Evo 250GB Firmware: EMT02B6Q
Toshiba P300 1TB Firmware: MS2OA8R0
WD Blue 1TB Firmware: 03.01A03
Kingston 9905403-400.A00LF 99U5471-054.A00LF 9905403-400.A00LF 16GB 1333, 1333, 1333 MHz 4096, 8192, 4096 MB
Windows 10 PRO, OS Build 19044.1566, bought and licensed.

Thank you in advance.

Ralston18

Titan
PSU: make, model, wattage, age, condition? History of heavy use for gaming, video editing, or even mining?

Look in Reliability History and Event Viewer for error codes, warnings, and even information events that may have been captured when the game(s) failed to start.

Reliability History uses a time line format. So go back to "maybe a month ago" and before to follow along the time line to present.

Look for changes, patterns, etc..