0xc000021a on boot without fail

PC-4LIFE

Respectable
Nov 14, 2016
So I was attempting to setup a dual boot with Linux and Windows. Windows was already installed.

I installed Linux Ubuntu to a USB and booted from it and came to the installation menu. After looking at numerous tutorials and messing around with partitions still no luck. For hours I was attempting to install it, sometimes there were random error codes causing restarts, sometimes my USB was acting up. Booting back into windows I formatted the USB multiple times and re downloaded and reinstalled Linux Ubuntu onto the USB using Rufus. At some point between the restarts, my computer would randomly shut down, when booted up again it said my previous overclock settings had failed and the CMOS cleared, I chose the option to use last known configuration. Now I know my overclock settings are stable, I have tested them for many hours before, plus the last time I did any overclocking, or any changes to the BIOS (other than change boot drives) was a month ago.

Now eventually I just got fed up with it, and I went to boot back into windows. Upon getting to the login screen, my user account failed to show up, just the background. I restarted and the result was the same. After 5 minutes of waiting my user account decided to finally show up and I was able to login and get to the desktop.

I realised I might have done something wrong causing these problems. I opened up Command Prompt in Admin mode and ran the command sfc/scannow to see if any files had been corrupted. At the end of the scan it said there were corrupt files that could not be repaired, and recommended I restart the computer for changes to take effect. As soon as the command mentioned above finished, my desktop background went completely black.

So then I restarted my computer and normally it takes less than 5 seconds to get to the login screen, this time it stayed at the windows logo for a good 30 seconds or more. As soon as this stage completed, instead of the login screen I was expecting I was greeted with a BSOD error code 0xc000021a. This BSOD occurs every time I try and start my computer, so I am unable to access anything. Windows automated repair is unable to fix this. I cannot enter safe mode as I have a wireless keyboard and mouse. I have no system check points (stupid of me I know). I can access my BIOS, but I don't believe I can do anything from there. I haven't made any changes to it before attempting this dual boot.

At this point I'm prepared to do anything. I've created a bootable USB for windows 10 and booted from it but no difference. I'm not sure what it is I can do from here other than do a system reset or completely wipe my SSD and start anew.

Is there a CMD command I can use to do something? sfc/scannow doesn't work with the command prompt I can access from the recovery menu.

Any help is appreciated.

System Build:
MSI Tomahawk AC
i5 6600K
1060 3GB
Crucial mx300 275GB
G.Skill 16 GB 2133mhz

PC-4LIFE

Respectable
Nov 14, 2016

Yep nothing worked. I ended up reinstalling windows a day after I made this thread. Luckily my files were backed up.

TRENDING THREADS