[SOLVED] 1.35V vs 1.5V RAM - Should I change voltage back to 1.5V after upgrade, and how?

Jmusic88

Prominent
Mar 11, 2020
I recently upgraded my ram from 6 GB to 16 GB. My laptop is about 8 years old, it runs DDR3 RAM. I bought a pair of 8 GB sticks, DDR3L and according to the description they are dual voltage and they work both in 1.35V and 1.5V. HWiNO64 confirms VDD is 1.5 and 1.35V.

My old dual channel RAM (2 GB and 4 GB, from manufacturer) used to run at 1.5V according to HWiNO64 and CPU-Z. After changing them to DDR3L, even though its "dual mode", they are now running at 1.35V. I have read that DDR3L is backwards combability to DDR3 so I should be overall good.

My question is - should I attempt to change the voltage to 1.5V instead? Also, how would I go about doing that. I went into BIOS and no where I see DRAM, or any RAM options. My BIOS is American Megatrends (ASUS motherboard), BIOS last updated back in 2012 but there are no new updates.

Thanks,

Jmusic88

Prominent
Mar 11, 2020
Unless it a highend gaming laptop. there is no setting to change voltage

That makes sense thanks! Yeah my laptop is not a high-end laptop at all. So if it's running at 1.35V, and not the 1.5V it used to give my old RAM is that ok?

I thought originally that DDR3l is backwards compatible meaning that it will run at 1.5V if that's what the motherboard is set to. Plus the whole dual voltage RAM, I figured it'll still run at 1.5V. But after changing the RAM it's running at 1.35V. Is that ok? Is the motherboard recognizing that its at 1.35V and is now 'compatible' with it?

Everything I have read online about the whole 1.35V vs 1.5V I'm starting to doubt now lol. Thoughts?