1.4 volts for 4790k?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

xXCrossfireXx

Reputable
Jan 16, 2016
So here's my scenario:

• I want my chip to overclock to 4.7 GHz

I want at LEAST 5 years out of this chip

• My PC isn't on 24/7. It'll be on 4 hours maximum week days, possibly more on weekends at most for daily use, unless I leave it on once in a while to render/video edit

• I have an NH-D15 cooler

• I plan to do some gaming, and some video editing

So far my chip is at 1.365 volts, and it couldn't survive Prime95 @ 4.7 GHz for 30 minutes. So I definitely want to bump up the voltage to stable it out. But is 1.4 volts safe for what I plan to use this PC for?

Solution
I've been offline for a while, just checked in...

I'm going to have to ask for your help to expand on that a little. I'm no expert, but I've done a bunch of overclocking and followed numbers of different guides over the years. I've never, ever seen anything referring to testing the "audio system load." RE "video system load", of course graphics stress testing is important if you're OCing the graphics card, but this a CPU overclock he's talking about. If there's something I (and OP) are missing here, please would you link a guide, article or explanation so we can learn.

That is more voltage than I use to overclock my...

xXCrossfireXx

Reputable
Jan 16, 2016

Worth performance? Well I plan on programming and video editing in the future (once I get my lazy (edited) onto a Vegas Pro 13 tutorial), so I'd have to say yes, since 1.3 volt range is generally safe.

Saybia

Reputable
Dec 23, 2014
1.4v is quite a high voltage to be putting through your chip.

I would personally stick with 4.6Ghz if i was you. Especially if you want your CPU to last at least 5 years.

My 4790k is capable of hitting 5.1Ghz with a core voltage of 1.3300v (all cores and hyper threading enabled)
The temperatures get very high under stress test conditions. I only us a Corsair H110Igt All in one cooler. Maxing out at about 95'c.

For everyday use i now have my pc running at 4.8GHz with a Vcore of just 1.195v. (which is extremely low) The temperatures under full load only hit 70'c. Until recently i ran my 4790k @ 5.0Ghz with a Vcore of 1.288v ...but i've knocked it down to 4.8Ghz as i really want to make my chip last as long as possible.

The 4790k is amazing processor... even at its stock 4.0Ghz clock speed. it will run more or less any application with ease. If prolonging your chips life is a priority to you. Just play it safe and don't pump more than 1.3v into that thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.