1.7 GHz Palomino

Nikko

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
JC over at http://www.jc-news.com/pc/ is reporting that he's gotten confirmation of AMD privately showing air cooled 1.7 GHz Palomino's. I wonder if these are the passive heat sink variety. If so, would it be safe to assume the Athlon will probably reach 2GHz at .18 micron. Anybody want to speculate?

ra5555

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I don't think AMD will get this far, AMD is already having tuble with the 760 chip set and the TB Athlon can't go any faster, with the New Palomino, there isn't anynew stuff, just a reduction of heat of 20% so I would expect the Palomino be at maxium of 1.5 ghz

G

With the Athlon TB currently at 1.2, and the show of an athlon palomino at 1.5 not too long ago, it sounds reasonable that AMD could now be able to do 1.7, its just a question of how long it takes for AMD to be able to mass produce. If AMD is able to get 1.7 out quickly, it could mean a major blow for Intel.

---
Engage!

G

Well from what I have been able to gleen from all these rumours(on many sites) is that Amd is indeed demoing a 1.7 ghz processor air cooled.

If the rumour about pure silicon are true than 1.7 ghz is only the beginning. If the 1.7 ghz processor is a Tbird and it runs hotter than the upcoming palomino(not do to pure silicon but redesign) then we can conclude that Amd will be able to clock to 2ghz using the .18 process. Imagine what they will be able to do once they get down to .13 process, soi, pure silicon etc.

G

The Tbird has no thermal connductor plate built in like
the coppermine has but the Palamino probably does. I read an article saying that the next gen Tbird will have this built in thermal conductor so they will run much cooler.

Nikko

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I personally think you're wrong. In fact Gigabyte has publicly stated it was a design issue with their boards, not an issue with the chipset. Don't forget that ALI chipset boards will also start appearing soon and NVIDIA will be announcing their chipset for the Athlon next month. As far as Palomino having new stuff, you're very wrong. Aside from a new layout of the core to reduce heat, Palomino will also likely use pure silicon. Performance enhancements will include improved branch prediction, hardware prefetch, SSE, improved ALU and FPU, better cache. I'll guess that Palomino will be up to 8% faster than a T-Bird.

G

Sure, it's possible they have an air-cooled 1.7ghz palo in the labs but that doesn't really mean anything if the yield sucks (well AMD was demoing a 266Mhz K6 when they had just released the 233Mhz ,but it took them forever to actually get 266Mhz out!)

As for 2001, AMD doesn't have to release products quickly but TIMELY to give Intel a couple more blows..

G

where did you read 20% heat reduction i heard 35 degrees celcios drops which is something near 40%.

I would love to have one of those babies in a vaporchill case :) that would overclock confortable to around 2.5Ghz.
I would have to mod my board though so i can raise the voltage to 3 volts

G

This chip dosen't reduce the wattage used by much just the heat because it can disipate it better using pure silicon

so batteries on powerbooks will go flat easy.

Dosen't the palomino have a extended pipeline i heard 12 to 14 from the original 10.

ra5555

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I think you are right but, when would Palomino be leased in 0.13 ? I know that P4 is realeasing it in June to July next year.

G

I heard that AMD will probably go to .13u a few moths later than Intel, 3/4 quarter 2001.

Fat Chucky

G

.... Palomino may have SSE, but not SSE2

.... I thought it was confirmed that there was a RUMOR of 1.7Ghz Palomino being demo'd behind closed doors at shows, but no confirmation of truth to it.

.... AMD has already installed .13u equipment in Fab30 Dresden Germany, so they may catch up and pass intel's .13u schedule since intel seems to have much more problems implementing new technology and even gave up on copper for a while.

.... I suspect the new pure silicon technology is still quite a ways from production CPUs.

G

According to AMDs roadmap the Palomino is coming out
Q1 2001 and the die shrink to .13 dosnt happen until
Q1 2002 pretty far away considering the way things are
going in there fab plant.

G

Wow.. I am getting really confused. From what I've read it would be out Q2 2001. Anyone knows how much will the initial Palomino costs?

G

Opinion, don't forget that heat dissipation is not the only hurdle for speedy processors. They have to have small features and very thin gate oxides. Not easy to do given the current manufacturing equipment. All that aside (as every manufacturer faces these issues... and there are tricks to get around them temporarily), I still don't buy a 60% reduction in heat because of isotopically pure silicon. I wouldn't hold your breath on the AMD Athlon hitting 2 GHz on 0.18 micron processing. I imagine they won't have too much trouble hitting it at 0.13 micron, but I don't think they will get past 2.5 GHz on the 0.13 micron process before end of 2002. Finally, they are demonstrating the very best piece of silicon to ever come out of their fab (the 1.7 GHz demo). What percentage of their processors can hit that bin split? It is a good indicator that they can do it, but it doesn't tell us how soon.

I wouldn't count on it before early Q4 if I had to guess, but who knows? They must pay all of those engineers for something.

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by DuckDodger on 01/04/01 08:38 PM.</EM></FONT></P>