1 beep then 2 short beeps at start

gorbuha

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2011
Ok guys, please help me with my problem. I just built a computer with the following specs:

CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 920
CPU Fan: Cooler Master 212 Plus
M/B: Asus M4N78 PRO, AMI Bios
GPU: Asus 560 Ti DCII 1Gb
PSU: Thermaltake 650W
RAM: 6 Gbs (3 x 2Gbs)
SSD: OCZ Vertex II 30Gb (System)

So I put everything together, press the power button, all the fans start spinning (GPU, CPU, Case fans), then I notice a strange thing: CPU fan stops spinning for about 6-7 seconds until I hear one beep, then it starts spinning again fast, then I hear two short beeps. There is no video, my monitor is blank and does not come on. I can't figure out what the problem is, I tried re-seating RAM, it did not help, tried re-seating the CPU and cooler, nothing changes, still getting 1 beep at start and then two short beeps. I figure it gets through POST but then what happens? I tired re-seating GPU, does not help. Can you help me determine what it can be? I just got this new M/B because one day when I turned on my computer the monitor / video did not come on nor did my computer give any beeps. So I tested all other hardware part on my friend's computer and everything worked so I though it had to be the M/B (I also found out that the M/B speaker died that's why I did not hear any beeps), so I replace the M/B. Now I don't even know if the reason was the M/B or something else.

Thanking you all in advance for all the help you can offer!

Gorbuha

gorbuha

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2011

I have 2 Gb stick of Patriot and 4 Gb (2 x 2Gb) of some Chinese manufacturer....

gorbuha

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2011

The problem is that I don't know if the first beep is a long one... It sounds like a regular normal beep that you hear when every computer starts, after which the monitor is supposed to come on but it does not and then I hear two short beeps...

Cripple13

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2011
There is your problem. You have 2 different brands of RAM. Pull out the patriot stick and try it. Your mobo has dual channel (meaning your RAM needs to be paired), if you have 3 sticks in there it will cause issues. On top of that, if you have two different brands in there it will cause issues almost every time

gorbuha

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2011

Well, I tried with only one stick of ram and still the same problem.... And the three stick worked fine in my old M/B (M2N-SLI) that I have replaced with M4N78 Pro.....

Cripple13

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2011
I can guarantee the RAM is your problem. As I said before, take out the 1 patriot stick and try it with just the 2 chinese ones. Make sure they are in the correct slots and try to boot. If it doesn't work post the exact model of all your RAM so we can figure out another reason it might be happening.

gorbuha

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2011

Ok will do and will post the result... But I am at work now so I will do it tonight. Thank you for your help!

gorbuha

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2011
The problem is that i tried all ram in my friend's computer and it worked fine. In fact i tried all hardware parts and they worked fine, which led me to believe that my old m/b was at fault and i got this new one....

gorbuha

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2011
Ok guys, so the fix was to clear and reset the CMOS. Just had to move the CLR CRT jumper from pins 1-2 to pins 2-3 and wait a minute then move it back to pins 1-2. It fixed everything. My machine is working and the new Cooler Master 212 Hyper Plus cooler is awesome! My GPU is already overclocked to the limit, i am going to start overclocking the CPU and changing timings on the RAM. Just trying to squeeze everything out of my AMD Phenom II X4 920 and Asus M4N78 Pro motherboard. Anyhow, thank you all for your help!