[SOLVED] 1 Case fan potentially malfunctioning, how safe is it to keep it running in the PC while i await a replacement?

Jan 8, 2022
Hi
A couple days ago one of my case fans began to lightly shake in its frame while also rotating slower and making a strong noise indicating to me that either the lubricant or the bearing is beginning to fail. I've established an impromptu temporary fix of lightly pushing the blades towards the case which seems to fix the problem through a couple of tries yet beginning once more when the PC shuts off.

Today i've also noticed the bearing part of the fan is getting incredibly hot (est 35-45c to the touch after 6-8 hours of running) probably generated by friction due to the malfunctioning bearing or loss of lubricant. My question here today is whether it'd be safe to continue to use the fan until the replacement gets here for the sake of better airflow/temps or do i risk potential damage to the computer or other components if i leave the malfunctioning fan in the pc for the span of 2-3 days while i await a replacement?

Also is there potential for the fan not to be failing and something to be stuck between the motor & bearing and the fan magnet/blades? Is this potentially why the issue seems to solve itself when i push the fan blades gently back towards the case after a few tries?
Thanks

Solution
Hi
A couple days ago one of my case fans began to lightly shake in its frame while also rotating slower and making a strong noise indicating to me that either the lubricant or the bearing is beginning to fail. I've established an impromptu temporary fix of lightly pushing the blades towards the case which seems to fix the problem through a couple of tries yet beginning once more when the PC shuts off.

Today i've also noticed the bearing part of the fan is getting incredibly hot (est 35-45c to the touch after 6-8 hours of running) probably generated by friction due to the malfunctioning bearing or loss of lubricant. My question here today is whether it'd be safe to continue to use the fan until the replacement gets here for the sake...
My question here today is whether it'd be safe to continue to use the fan until the replacement gets here for the sake of better airflow/temps or do i risk potential damage to the computer or other components if i leave the malfunctioning fan in the pc for the span of 2-3 days while i await a replacement?
Show photos of your system with side panel removed.
Also show, which fan is failing in the photo.
Upload your image to imgur.com and post link.

Hi

Today i've also noticed the bearing part of the fan is getting incredibly hot (est 35-45c to the touch after 6-8 hours of running) probably generated by friction due to the malfunctioning bearing or loss of lubricant. My question here today is whether it'd be safe to continue to use the fan until the replacement gets here for the sake of better airflow/temps or do i risk potential damage to the computer or other components if i leave the malfunctioning fan in the pc for the span of 2-3 days while i await a replacement?

Also is there potential for the fan not to be failing and something to be stuck between the motor & bearing and the fan magnet/blades? Is this potentially why the issue seems to solve itself when i push the fan blades gently back towards the case after a few tries?
Thanks
Disconnect failing fan, better to risk a bit higher case temps than for fan to burn up and make a short. If need be open the case.

Reactions: Paperdoc
Solution