1 Decade, 10 Technologies that Changed Our Lives

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

vertigo_2000

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2007
Digital distribution of digital media has changed many peoples lives.

People are downloading music (iTunes), games (Steam) and movies (Netflix).

Online sales are in the billions

AMDnoob

Distinguished
May 3, 2009
[citation][nom]vertigo_2000[/nom]Human DNA Decoding?Privatization of space?Even GPS for the masses should be on this list.[/citation]
None of those industries other than the GPS have hit their prime yet. I don't even know if they're operating profitably yet (other than the GPS). But their time is definitely coming up, especially commercial space travel.

kdashjl

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2010
[citation][nom]gm0n3y[/nom] The PS2 was just a PS1 with better graphics and vibrating controllers. [/citation]
the ps1 also had vibrating controllers

wiinippongamer

Distinguished
[citation][nom]LORD_ORION[/nom]Really? The Wii motion sensor is not on there? The accessible game console that allowed families to begin to game together and work out with?Even my mom owns and uses a Wii regularly now.[/citation]

you cant be serious...

kkiddu

Distinguished
Oct 9, 2009
[citation][nom]jdjuice[/nom]I'd just like to congratulate everyone on a technologically awesome decade. Here's to many more like it.[/citation]

Amen to that.

G

Desktop fanboy's plan to return the earth to proper balance.

Interview me about the plan to offer instant themonuclear messaging via Skype! " Skype not actually available at this time.. But there's a plan in place!

This plan should boost sales of desktop hardened and hard wired pc's. While compleatly making radio based wireless and cell technologies defunct!

Better crank up the tactical warhead production to meet demands! Cause baby this next decades gonna be hot Hot HOT!

Camikazi

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2008
[citation][nom]dogman_1234[/nom]I can't wait untill 2020, when we look back form 2011 to 2019 and what many people have generated for our society. Next stop, research into HEALTHY 3D, or true 3D as what I have heard it be called.[/citation]
I see true 3D whenever I look at something...

gm0n3y

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
[citation][nom]dmwright[/nom]What about SPAM?[/citation]
Spam was around before 2000 and seems to actually have reduced in volume over the past 5 years or so. I'd say that it peaked somewhere around 2003-2005.

Maxor127

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2007
Meh. None of those have changed my life. I could see how some of them may have for other people, but some are highly questionable, like the PS2. It's just an upgraded Playstation. No different than any console that came before it. If I had to choose something from consoles, I'd pick either Xbox Live (as much as I hate it, can't argue that it's changed the console/multiplayer landscape) or the Wii (which legitimately revolutionized console gaming).

sonofliberty08

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2009
if facebook was include , then the MMORPG got to be include too ... well i didn't play much on the MMORPG (nearly not) , but it really hv a big change for PC Gaming .

kinggremlin

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2009
I understand that there was no year 0, but going by the accepted method of defining decades (80',90's, etc.), we started a new decade a year ago on January 1st, 2010. This article is a year late.

G

PS2 as modern? If anything it was the Xbox and Xbox Live that brought us into the modern age of immensely popular online shooters on consoles and socially connected gaming. The PS2, a great console in its own right and one I spent a lot of time on, did not drastically change how people played in the 2000s like the Xbox did.

Xbox Live was really the biggest change to gaming and gaming culture this decade. Who knew we'd have friends online.

fugfar

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2008
i mostly agree with the list. ask the pizza guy how much he likes gps.
and no offense Wolfy, but please proofread this stuff, its like a sentence puzzle :)

runswindows95

Distinguished
No mention of open source software at all? Maybe it's me, but Mozilla, Ubuntu, and Open Office have impacted my life more than Facebook and Netflix has. Also, they have changed the software industry in a lot of ways more than Netflix and Facebook has.

sirfrummel

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2010
About half these things I agree with: CPUs, Laptops, Cell Phones, Google, Wifi and Digital Cameras.

Facebook - are you serious? Yeah it's great to post status updates, and a ton of revenue is generated from social games - but FB just got lucky because Myspace died. Let Facebook screw up big time with a Privacy breach and people will flock to something else; it can be replaced.

PS2 - uhh, yeah - huge life changer, I probably wouldn't be here with out it *rolls eyes*

iPod - hmm, I don't have one. I still use a 1gb iRiver that I still love, I'm not switching to an iPod anytime soon.

Netflix - uhh, nope, don't use, maybe sometime in the future.

ionut19

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2008
Facebook, Ipod and PS2 are 3 of those things that changed our lives? Are you kidding ?! Ad there GPS, consoles(play station x-box and wii and other) and free communication across the world through yahoo messenger, Skype, MSN messenger and other. That's what impacted our lives. Besides the guys living across the street that are Americans i did not see that many i-pods, facebook..that's not the only thing that allows you to have your own address and customize it the way you like.

This is my top ten technologies that I think has changed our lives.

1. Broadband such as DSL, Fiberoptic, WIFI, and ect.
2. Realistic first person shooters. Counter Strike, Call of duty, and American army type games really made a changed up from the old doom style shooters.
3. MMO's such as WOW, Final Fantasy, LOTRO, RuneScape, GuildWars, and EVE Online.
4. Online retail.
5. Integration of LAN, Audio, and IGP on motherboards have made the PC more affordable while reducing complexity for end users. Integration of the memory controller in the CPU. Integration of the audio in the video cards and though the IPG.
6. XP the first stable Microsoft OS for the masses. Knoppix for its utility to fix problems. Linux for running PC servers.
7. Youtube, Netflix, and others streaming mp4, Flash, and Silverlight.
8. LCD displays, HMDI, DVI, and wide-screen have replaced CRT's.
9. DVD and bluray replacing old VHS. Digital TV broadcasting replacing analog. PS2, PS3, Xbox, Xbox360, and Wii for completely replace the old console 2d gaming.
10. Social Networking like MySpace, FriendWise, FriendFinder, Yahoo! 360, Facebook, Orkut, and twitter. These types of networksg haven't yet but may overtake forums.

beayn

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2009
I'm really glad the ipad isn't on this list.

Why is Netflix on this? It was only available in USA until recently. I can tell you it changed absolutely nothing in my life before it was available in Canada nor after.

Status
Not open for further replies.