[SOLVED] 1 game 1080p partial build around a R9 280

plan_b

Reputable
Jun 7, 2017
Hello to all, I am in need of some advice choosing some parts for a build that will only be used for playing Dayz (nothing more).

Long story short, my partner and my eldest daughter want to play Dayz with me and i need a second PC. I have a r9 280 that has been sitting broken in a draw for years and after looking at the current GPU market and price for pre builds i decided to try and repair it and was successful, so i basically have a free GPU and will be building around it. I also have spare (monitor, SSD, mouse, keyboard & headset,) so the parts i mainly need to get started are:

MOBO = Gigabyte B450M? Possibly WIFI model
CASE = Cougar MG120 G MicroATX Mini Tower Case
RAM = G.Skill aegis 8GB DDR4 3000mhz

PSU = EVGA BQ 650 W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply
CPU = open to suggestions.
https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/z4x2Hz
Approx. £160 without CPU

Parts above were chosen mainly by price so if there are better choices to be made please let me know.

The choice i am most stuck on is the CPU. My Ryzen 5 1600 barely gets used when playing Dayz on my 1050ti or this R9 280. So a main question here is what CPU to use that will not bottleneck the R9 GPU or effect Dayz performance? I see no point in spending to much here for performance im never going to need seeing as this is a one purpose PC.

Im also considering used eBay parts and even used pre builds that i maybe able to drop the R9 into idk? Anyway hopefully you guys can chime in with some advice here and help me out :)

https://www.scan.co.uk/products/msi...ta3-2x-m2-crossfire-25gbe-usb-32-gen2x2-m-atx
MSI MAG B560M BAZOOKA £99.98

https://www.aria.co.uk/SuperSpecials/Other+products/Intel+Hex+Core+i5+10400F+Comet+Lake+CPU/Processor+?productId=72518
Intel Core i5 10400F £139.99

https://www.scan.co.uk/products/dee...-single-tower-aluminium-fins-4x-heatpipes-int
DEEPCOOL GAMMAXX GTE V2 CPU Cooler £19.99

https://www.ebuyer.com/1265314-king...-x-8gb-3200mhz-ddr4-ram-black-kf432c16bbk2-16
Kingston FURY Beast 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4 3200MHz CL16 £64.06

Total: £324 inc VAT

https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/MAG-B560M-BAZOOKA

Solution

plan_b

Reputable
Jun 7, 2017
Thanks for your list but seems like a little overkill.
This PC will probably be used occasionally and for one purpose only so I want to keep price down. My current setup runs dayz with my 1050ti or the r9 to what i would call acceptable FPS and visual balance @1080.

Currently running the ryzen 5 1600, 8GB 3000 vengeance with a b350 and the game runs fine and barely uses and CPU with either card so im not really looking for extra performance in CPU, if anything i dont need that much lol just something that will match it and keep the price down.

The ryzen 5 1600 is £110 ish new and comes with the cooler but again im not sure i need that much CPU power seeing as mine does not use CPU power when playing Dayz?

If anything i was considering the cheaper ryzen 3 1200. As long as it did not hinder in game performance of this one game that does not seem to be CPU dependant. any thoughts?

Thanks for your list but seems like a little overkill.
This PC will probably be used occasionally and for one purpose only so I want to keep price down. My current setup runs dayz with my 1050ti or the r9 to what i would call acceptable FPS and visual balance @1080.

Currently running the ryzen 5 1600, 8GB 3000 vengeance with a b350 and the game runs fine and barely uses and CPU with either card so im not really looking for extra performance in CPU, if anything i dont need that much lol just something that will match it and keep the price down.

The ryzen 5 1600 is £110 ish new and comes with the cooler but again im not sure i need that much CPU power seeing as mine does not use CPU power when playing Dayz?

If anything i was considering the cheaper ryzen 3 1200. As long as it did not hinder in game performance of this one game that does not seem to be CPU dependant. any thoughts?
The build I posted wasn't just for that one game but overall performance ... school work, web browsing, media, etc ... You want dual channel RAM these days for any build and/or upgrade as in today's standard is 2x8GB set. Even your cheap laptops provide this these days.

header.jpg

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
Hello to all, I am in need of some advice choosing some parts for a build that will only be used for playing Dayz (nothing more).

Long story short, my partner and my eldest daughter want to play Dayz with me and i need a second PC. I have a r9 280 that has been sitting broken in a draw for years and after looking at the current GPU market and price for pre builds i decided to try and repair it and was successful, so i basically have a free GPU and will be building around it. I also have spare (monitor, SSD, mouse, keyboard & headset,) so the parts i mainly need to get started are:

MOBO = Gigabyte B450M? Possibly WIFI model
CASE = Cougar MG120 G MicroATX Mini Tower Case
RAM = G.Skill aegis 8GB DDR4 3000mhz

PSU = EVGA BQ 650 W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply
CPU = open to suggestions.
https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/z4x2Hz
Approx. £160 without CPU

Parts above were chosen mainly by price so if there are better choices to be made please let me know.

The choice i am most stuck on is the CPU. My Ryzen 5 1600 barely gets used when playing Dayz on my 1050ti or this R9 280. So a main question here is what CPU to use that will not bottleneck the R9 GPU or effect Dayz performance? I see no point in spending to much here for performance im never going to need seeing as this is a one purpose PC.

Im also considering used eBay parts and even used pre builds that i maybe able to drop the R9 into idk? Anyway hopefully you guys can chime in with some advice here and help me out :)
The very least I would get, the PSU is not that good but should be OK. If you need WIFI you should be able to fit a card in the bottom slot.
Hope your SSD is at the least 250GB.
You can run windows 10 unregistered for free.
The card puts out a good amount of heat so the extra fans. You will need a 3 fan splitter cable to run all 3.

For a bit more money you could get newer hardware.

PCPartPicker Part List

Type|Item|Price
:----|:----|:----
CPU | AMD Ryzen 3 1200 (14nm) 3.1 GHz Quad-Core Processor | £84.99 @ CCL Computers
Motherboard | Gigabyte B450M DS3H V2 Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard | £44.46 @ Technextday
Memory | Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory | £57.99 @ Corsair UK
Case | Antec NX200M MicroATX Mid Tower Case | £40.47 @ Scan.co.uk
Power Supply | EVGA BQ 650 W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply | £49.99 @ Scan.co.uk
Case Fan | ARCTIC P12 56.3 CFM 120 mm Fan | £5.94 @ Amazon UK
Case Fan | ARCTIC P12 56.3 CFM 120 mm Fan | £5.94 @ Amazon UK
| Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts |
| Total | £289.78
| Generated by PCPartPicker 2021-10-07 23:37 BST+0100 |