1 TB SSD: You Know You Want It

Status
Not open for further replies.

gxsolace

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2008
[citation][nom]Pei-chen[/nom]A no name company that released a product that's far ahead of any established brand?[/citation]

it's a no name company because they're aren't into consumer stuff....... doesn't make them "no name"

Dekasav

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2008
3 times as dense. I don't think the price will drop on these no matter how many were made, there's massive value in being the best, and these seem way ahead of the curve.

descendency

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2008
likely more than 4.6k actually. (intels 32 gb is 600USD. That would make it 19,200)

Oh, it's obvious why they are marketing to hospitals. They have more arms and legs to give.

wifi

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2008
As all other computer related component, as they get the king of the hill bragging rights, they also get illogical prices as well. So don't count on that same €/TB or $/TB. Also count on the effect of having already caught the magnetic ones. That was the only reason they were still holding prices back as they couldn't compete with high density magnetic drives. Now tables are turned.

zodiacfml

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2008
got their chips probably from known nand flash manufacturers.
though what they did is difficult enough, how to use all those memory chips and fit it in a 2.5" form factor drive.
probably will cost more than just the sum of multiple drives.

JeanLuc

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2002
[citation][nom]falchard[/nom]I don't see the point. What amount of programs can take up 1TB of space? Its not like it would make logical storage.[/citation]

I like to back up all my films onto hard drive, I currently have a Western Digital 500Gb My Book esata and there's about 30Gb's left. Half the space is taken by my DSP9 seasons 3 to 7 rips the rest by DVD's encoded to XVIDS and I'm currently looking at buying a 1Tb drive to cope with my needs. As well as archiving and backup's, games take more and more space some upwards of around 20Gb's so don't dismiss high capacities are irrelevant to quickly.

gnesterenko

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2008
As well as archiving and backup's, games take more and more space some upwards of around 20Gb's so don't dismiss high capacities are irrelevant to quickly.

He wasn't implying that having a TB of storage space is pointless. Naturally many of us have large media collections. Heck, my music alone takes over 100GB. His point was that storing your programs/audio/video on an SSD is a spectacular waste of SSD technology. An oldschool 7200RPM drive is more then enough for these. This is because your storage will have a "relatively" few number of very large files, with little writing to the drive going on beyond the initial storage period. Once its on there, sure an SSD can open your files a few miliseconds faster, but is that worth even 50% more then the cost of a traditional hard drive?

Hospitals and Military applications are more apparent. There is a lot of database stuff taking place with multiple access points to the same data from multiple users. A regular drive would choke up and die quickly. An SSD is perfect. And in these situations storage space AND access time is a factor since these organizations store thousands of mid-to-large sized files that need to be accessed accross the organzation very quickly.

Point is, for a CONSUMER, which most of us here are, a large capacity SSD is more or less useless for the next 2-3 years (when costs will come down enough for it to be warranted). It IS relevant to us however, since the envelope is being pushed in this area, meaning the tech will trinkle down to consumer electronics eventually, and that is of course a good thing. But for the time being, an SSD is great for your main OS partition and common applications. You will notice almost no difference between storing your media/backups on an SSD vs. an HD.

All that being said, these drives have pretty sweet specs. 240/215 Read/write respectively are really good numbers. Almost SLC numbers. Any word on what these drives are? MLC/SLC? When I win the lottery (should be any day now), definetly will look to pick one of these up I think...

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

JeanLuc

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2002
[citation][nom]gnesterenko[/nom]He wasn't implying that having a TB of storage space is pointless. Naturally many of us have large media collections. Heck, my music alone takes over 100GB. His point was that storing your programs/audio/video on an SSD is a spectacular waste of SSD technology. An oldschool 7200RPM drive is more then enough for these. [/citation]

No, I think he was implying 1Tb was too much, look at what he wrote

[citation]"What amount of programs can take up 1TB of space?"[/citation]

He if had qualified that with your comment about the 7200k drives I would accept your point.

coopchennick

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2008
[citation][nom]JeanLuc[/nom]No, I think he was implying 1Tb was too much, look at what he wrote[citation]"What amount of programs can take up 1TB of space?"[/citation]He if had qualified that with your comment about the 7200k drives I would accept your point.[/citation]
Well he specifically said "programs" not files/media/junk/what have you.

Either way, the grander point is that this is reserved for medical/military etc. use - not the typical computer geek.

G

Its not capacity that's really that important. Its the fact that 4 1Tb ssd drives take upasmuch room as a 3.5". The density is key here. On a loptop this drive would help make it thinner, a bonus to using this in laptops is that it is super fast.

bin1127

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2008
[citation][nom]Pei-chen[/nom]A no name company that released a product that's far ahead of any established brand?[/citation]

i think that's the norm rather than exception. like physx nvidia and sony ps3 controllers, microsoft everything. The shame is that the bought up company will never make the millions it deserves.

shadowmaster625

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2007
There is enough SSDs out there. What there is not is any meaningful benchmark that tells me how they are going to perform in the real world, taking into account. Random small writes.

Status
Not open for further replies.