[SOLVED] 1 week old PC shuts down randomly or doesn't boot at all.

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Oct 10, 2020
Hello. I just recently built a fully brand new PC 1 week ago and have been having some very strange issues. My specs currently

Asus ROG B550-A mobo
XFX Rx580 pro GPU
64GB DDR4 RAM 2666HZ
AMD Ryzen 3900 CPU
EvGA 750 platinum/Cougar GX 1050 gold PsU

If any specific details are needed apart from what's given i will try and provide.

So first day build went great. Booted up just fine and installed all my drivers and OS. Did free 10 pro till i bought a key later. Upon the first few hours of it being up and running I tested 1 game that wasn't even stressful. Within 5 minutes ai got BSOD with a failed memory management error. I essentially troubleshot that 1 of my 4 sticks of ram died even though all 4 were registering in system info before. I replaced 2 of the sticks and bough a new pair of Hyper X DDR4 16gbx2 and replaced them. Worked just fine for a few days no issues at all. This past Wednesday i got home from work and played the PC for 6 hours straight without a single issue. Came back from some errands and it was completely shut down. When i tried to turn it on again it would not stay on! It kept cycling on then off. I unplugged and removed ram again though i didn't think that would have been the issue considering it was just working and I didnt get a BSOD. After not being able to get it started again we concluded that maybe the PSU already died. (Cougar gx 1050 gold). Next day it started up and ran for 4 hours as if nothing happened! I ordered an EVGA that came in yesterday 750 plat just to be safe if it was still the PSU and unplugged everything and connected the new PSU. No luck at all. Even with unplugging and trying to see if it was RAM or thr GPU but it still wouldn't post. I gave up and went to bed. This AM(saturday) it booted up just fine!! Like wewehhhhaat. Then after an hour it powered down on it's own again and continued to do this weird cycle of not booting or booting and powering down on its own. At this point all i can think of would be the CPU or Mobo. But the CPU was not overheating and also running just fine. Could it be the mobo and also the reason the ram stick got fried day 1? At this point I'm at my wits end.

Solution
yeah I already have a return ready to go for the CPU, the RAM, the Mobo, and the original PSU that I thought was the original issue. I am keeping the EVGA Platinum I ordered to replace the Cougar. I'd rather have that anyway because it is fully Modular and Platinum rated vs the Gold semi modular Cougar. They should all be here mid week so I can rebuild from scratch this weekend.
That sounds good my friend sending all 3 back gives you ease of mind although we now discovered the motherboard is bunk. Because there are times where the motherboard is ok but the CPU red light turns on so ya. As for EVGA PSU they make great PSU's and that is a good mid tier PSU. But just FYI Corsair makes high end premier tier PSU's fully modular...
Oct 10, 2020
Yes sir, do that my friend. No reason to send back the PSU tho.👍👽
Yeah no I'm keeping the PSU haha. We took everything off the board and noticed multiple points that had broken or shoddy looking solder pointd along with bent caps. ALSO when attempting to remove the USB3 connector, it literally ripped the connector piece off the mobo with baaarreerlly any force given. Originally the board was said to ship out OCT 28th, then within 2 days of ordering it that changed to OCT 12th, THEN one day later said it was shipping! I 100% believe that the board was rushed and had crazy bad power management causing it to constantly shut down.

Turtle Rig

Prominent
BANNED
Jun 23, 2020
Yeah no I'm keeping the PSU haha. We took everything off the board and noticed multiple points that had broken or shoddy looking solder pointd along with bent caps. ALSO when attempting to remove the USB3 connector, it literally ripped the connector piece off the mobo with baaarreerlly any force given. Originally the board was said to ship out OCT 28th, then within 2 days of ordering it that changed to OCT 12th, THEN one day later said it was shipping! I 100% believe that the board was rushed and had crazy bad power management causing it to constantly shut down.
Yes you are correct. But please send the CPU back for the hell of it to have a peace of mind. Other then that your RAM and PSU and video card are all ok. I can't believe they sent you a bunk motherboard. Buy from amazon and no where else my friend.

Oct 10, 2020
Yes you are correct. But please send the CPU back for the hell of it to have a peace of mind. Other then that your RAM and PSU and video card are all ok. I can't believe they sent you a bunk motherboard. Buy from amazon and no where else my friend.
yeah I already have a return ready to go for the CPU, the RAM, the Mobo, and the original PSU that I thought was the original issue. I am keeping the EVGA Platinum I ordered to replace the Cougar. I'd rather have that anyway because it is fully Modular and Platinum rated vs the Gold semi modular Cougar. They should all be here mid week so I can rebuild from scratch this weekend.

Turtle Rig

Prominent
BANNED
Jun 23, 2020
That sounds good my friend sending all 3 back gives you ease of mind although we now discovered the motherboard is bunk. Because there are times where the motherboard is ok but the CPU red light turns on so ya. As for EVGA PSU they make great PSU's and that is a good mid tier PSU. But just FYI Corsair makes high end premier tier PSU's fully modular but it is costly so in your case stick with the EVGA and your good to go.👌💯🎗✝

Solution

Asez23

Reputable
Oct 11, 2020
Ok thanks for the detailed information my friend. That is a sexy Rig you got I see no faults or cheap components. Ok so as of now to make sure you have a 32GB Kit installed correct? The PC shuts down to prevent it from dying because of overheating. Each CPU has a TJ Max which is the max temp it will work with then once it reaches that max temp the computer shuts down so the CPU doesn't fry. I think you have a contact issue with your cooler which I would like to know which it is; If the PC is shutting off with the new EVGA solid CPU then its not the PSU. I need you to do 2 things. Take out the battery on the motherboard for 10 minutes then put it back in then go to BIOS and choose set to optimized defaults and then you boot up. Then I want you to use HWmonitor or the app you like to check the CPU temp. Please do this and tell me the temp in C. Seems like the cooler is not properly installed or you didn't put right ammount of thermal paste or put too much and also perhaps you didnt fully tighten the screws so tighten those but not too much to chip the motherboard. So after you do these two things lets see what happens then if it shuts down again and the CPU temp is not much we can take further troubleshooting actions. Well fix you up have no worries.🤷‍♀️👽💯🎗👶
Yep. Well said. Just check the cooling on everything. You might even have to delid the cpu.

Turtle Rig

Prominent
BANNED
Jun 23, 2020
Yep. Well said. Just check the cooling on everything. You might even have to delid the cpu.
Thank you Asez23 ... As for delidding I don't think he is a guru master to do this and probably crack the CPU or something but you are right however I don't think he can do it unless hes a super guru or something. I personally wouldn't recommend it. Only for those that have the experience and have done it before or are super technical and what not.✝🎗👶