[SOLVED] 1 year old NVMe SSD suddenly stopped working, please help!

NeonHD

Honorable
Jul 15, 2017
Hi everyone, today is a very sad day for me as my 1 year old NVMe SSD suddenly died, at least it appears to be so. I engage in a lot of creative work, especially music production, so it is very upsetting for me to imagine that all the hard work is now gone.

Here is a detailed recollection of everything that happened in chronological order:

So I was just doing stuff on my computer until suddenly the keyboard didn't seem to respond. I thought it was just a connection issue so I plugged it back in but it still wasn't responding. Odd. I think my mouse was working fine. After repeatedly pressing on the windows and Alt + Tab keys the computer BSOD'd and gave me the error code: kernel data inpage error. I was only feeling frustrated at that point, but once I researched the code my heart immediately sank. All sources indicated it was mostly related to hard drive issues. And upon further investigation it really seems to be the SSD.

Firstly, the BSOD was different this time compared to every other BSOD. The computer never restarted automatically, it only remained at 0%.

Secondly, when manually rebooting, the computer could not get past the BIOS boot screen, it was just stuck there, and my keyboard was still not working to get into BIOS. But once I took the NVMe SSD out, it finally directly booted into BIOS. After that, I stuck the SSD back in and rebooted again into BIOS, and the BIOS did not indicate there was an SSD installed.

Oh god no... not like this. Of all the things that could've broke, it HAD to be the SSD. I would rather my CPU break, or my GPU, anything but my SSD!!! 😭😭😭

Before anyone here helps, I want to address some key factors that might be relevant to diagnosing the issue:
  1. My PC was situated beside a baseboard radiator, and it was turned on for a while during the BSOD.
    1. SSD had a heatsink
  2. I bought the NMVe SSD on Aliexpress from some Chinese brand called KingSpec. I bought it exactly one year ago (like, literally last December).
  3. At the time of failure, the SSD was almost full, like 6-8GB left of space.
  4. Lastly, and the one I find most unbelievable, is that a week ago my mom's computer's SSD also suffered the same exact fate (frozen keyboard, then instantly BSOD and SSD not detected anymore).
    1. Both me and my mom's SSD were from Aliexpress. My mom's SSD was bought on Dec 2018 (the same month!)
Regarding the last factor, my mom suggested that maybe it was a virus that somehow invaded our local network and erased both of our drives. That seemed rather impossible to me, but the mere fact of that happening really frightens me even more.

Of all the factors listed, which would be the most severe one (i.e. the one causing irreversible damage)? Considering these factors, would I likely be able to recover my data?

P.S. If relevant, here are my specs:
  • CPU: Ryzen 5 3600X (base clock)
  • GPU: GTX1060 6GB
  • 32GB DDR4 RAM (3200Mhz base clock)
  • 750W PSU
  • Motherboard: Gigabyte B450 Aorus Pro Wifi

Last edited:
Solution
Hi everyone, today is a very sad day for me as my 1 year old NVMe SSD suddenly died, at least it appears to be so. I engage in a lot of creative work, especially music production, so it is very upsetting for me to imagine that all the hard work is now gone.
Drives die. 1 year is still in warranty.
It happens to everyone eventually. It happened to me more than once.

Lost data? Unfortunately, thats all on you. Automated backups are cheap and easy.

RealBeast

Titan
What brand is your drive? If it has disk management software have you used it to check the drive?

While very unfortunate if your drive has actually failed, did you not have any backup?

You should never have your SSD that full, and you should also back up important data (the more important the data the more backups in different locations you should have including cloud).

USAFRet

Titan

Lost data? Unfortunately, thats all on you. Automated backups are cheap and easy.

Solution

NeonHD

Honorable
Jul 15, 2017
What brand is your drive? If it has disk management software have you used it to check the drive?

While very unfortunate if your drive has actually failed, did you not have any backup?

You should never have your SSD that full, and you should also back up important data (the more important the data the more backups in different locations you should have including cloud).

It was some brand from China called KingDian, basically an unknown brand.

I did a manual backup of all my important files, but that was way back from August.

I actually used to use Mega.nz to backup all my important files and projects, but after doing a clean install on Windows (which was back in August), I kinda "forgot" to install it (the thought had occurred, but I never really did it). Now I really regret not installing Mega.nz again.

NeonHD

Honorable
Jul 15, 2017

Yep... The thought of installing Mega.nz as a cloud backup had occurred to me, but I never really did it. Learned my lesson the hard way, sigh.

USAFRet

Titan
Yep... The thought of installing Mega.nz as a cloud backup had occurred to me, but I never really did it. Learned my lesson the hard way, sigh.
Cloud backup is maybe good for small levels of data, as a 3rd level.

Automated, full drive backups to semi-local storage would have saved your bacon.

I had a 960GB SanDisk SSD die. Suddenly, without warning.
From the above linked routine, all 605GB data on it recovered 100% as it was at 4AM that morning.

But KingDian? :non:
There is such a thing as going 'too cheap'.

NeonHD

Honorable
Jul 15, 2017
Cloud backup is maybe good for small levels of data, as a 3rd level.

Automated, full drive backups to semi-local storage would have saved your bacon.

I had a 960GB SanDisk SSD die. Suddenly, without warning.
From the above linked routine, all 605GB data on it recovered 100% as it was at 4AM that morning.

But KingDian? :non:
There is such a thing as going 'too cheap'.

For my use-case, I think an automated cloud backup is already good enough, but now that you mention it I'm probably thinking of getting a NAS box as well for double protection.