1 year old pc slow for no apparent reason.

amotthejoker

Reputable
Jun 20, 2017
So my pc has been acting up lately,it's kind of sluggish (pretty slow boot,games take more time than usual to load and apps take their sweet time to start) for its specs and i can't possibly think of a reason it's doing this.
my specs are:
Processor: I7 6700k with the Corsair H100i v2 cooler
Graphics Card: Asus GTX 1070 strix
Motherboard: Asus z170 pro gaming
Memory: Corsair – Corsair vegeance 2x8gb ddr4
Storage: Toshiba 1Tb HDD 7200rpm
Storage: WD Green 120 gb SSD
Power Supply: Seasonic M12II Bronze 620W

I really don't know what to do,someone told me it could be the bios but i dont want to risk doing that unless i'm absolutely sure that's the problem.Any feedback is apreciated.Thank you.

Solution
You have pretty high background CPU usage of 19% and that affects the final score. Close some of the more CPU heavy applications, e.g AV, Chrome, Firefox, Skype and run the test again. Try to get your CPU usage 10% or less for the benchmark test.

Also, your SSD didn't show up at all. Do you have it connected?

And yes, your 3000 Mhz RAM is running at 2133 Mhz. To fix that, enable RAM XMP profile within BIOS.
Also, if you use Asus AI Suite or similar MoBo utility, keep in mind that in most cases, they will override all changes you made within BIOS. Since i have MSI MoBo, at the beginning i installed MSI Command Center. But MSI Command Center failed to recognize my Kingston Savage RAM and set it to run at 2133 Mhz once i booted into Win...

amotthejoker

Reputable
Jun 20, 2017

the ssd is my boot drive and it's got like 50 gb of free space.I'm looking to buy an m.2 ssd to use as my boot drive and i'm hoping that will help speed the pc up.

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
My best guess is that your PC is filled with bloatware that hog your system resources and makes your PC to slow down. Malware can do the same thing though. So, run AV scan and also look what processes hog your system resources from Task Manager.

If the issue would be within hardware, e.g some component is dying, run UserBenchmark test to find that out,
link: http://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Software

Post the results link here for further validation.

- disable fast boot.
- clean the startup apps, those you do not need.
- clean for viruses, malwares, etc.
- check for conflicting drivers, etc. make sure they are up2date
- on energy profile, set the proc, etc. to performance and not to energy saving
- check if there is any failing components RAM, HDD, SSD, etc.
- make sure your OS partition/ drive is not completely full
- check the temps of the proc for overheating
- disable hibernating, etc. from windows

amotthejoker

Reputable
Jun 20, 2017

Here are the results (http://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/9998859) ,i also did a full AV scan and it deleted like 5 things and t seems to work noticeably faster.From what gather my ram and drives arent moving as expected so i'll see about that.

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
You have pretty high background CPU usage of 19% and that affects the final score. Close some of the more CPU heavy applications, e.g AV, Chrome, Firefox, Skype and run the test again. Try to get your CPU usage 10% or less for the benchmark test.

Also, your SSD didn't show up at all. Do you have it connected?

And yes, your 3000 Mhz RAM is running at 2133 Mhz. To fix that, enable RAM XMP profile within BIOS.
Also, if you use Asus AI Suite or similar MoBo utility, keep in mind that in most cases, they will override all changes you made within BIOS. Since i have MSI MoBo, at the beginning i installed MSI Command Center. But MSI Command Center failed to recognize my Kingston Savage RAM and set it to run at 2133 Mhz once i booted into Win, despite i previously set it to run 3000 Mhz within BIOS. Due to that flaw, i uninstalled MSI Command Center completely.

Solution