Question 10 gig network adapter not providing 10 gig speed ?

Jan 20, 2024
hello i recently had 10 gig fiber installed so i bought a synology E10g18-t1 network card. I have jumbo packets enable but some reason i still am only getting around 5-6 gigs at the most the internet company said its not on their end. it is hooked up with a 3ft cat8 ethernet cable directly to the modem. When i run a speed test with task manager open I'm not seeing spikes in anything any help would be appreciated.

pc specs
cpu i9-13900KF
gpu - ASUS ROG Strix GeForce RTX 4090 OC
motherboard- ASUS ROG Strix Z790-A
power supply- corsair rm1000x
nvme- samsung 990 pro series 1tb pcie gen4
memory- hp v10 rgb 4x8gb 3600mhz ddr4 cl14
network card- synology E10g18-t1

Jan 20, 2024
if im understanding your question correctly, the server im connecting to for the speed test is about 1.5 hours away from me and if you are asking about my service provider, they are only in my area.

You can't just jumbo frames over the internet, it is actually a big challenge to use on consumer grade equipment even on a lan.

How do you know the server you are trying test to has a 10gbit interface. Even if it does what happens if there are 100 other people testing at the same time.

What is even worst is sites like steam have artificial limits I assume to prevent someone with a large connection from hogging their download bandwidth. I know many games will not even download at 100mbps seems for no reason sometimes.

Jan 20, 2024
You can't just jumbo frames over the internet, it is actually a big challenge to use on consumer grade equipment even on a lan.

How do you know the server you are trying test to has a 10gbit interface. Even if it does what happens if there are 100 other people testing at the same time.

What is even worst is sites like steam have artificial limits I assume to prevent someone with a large connection from hogging their download bandwidth. I know many games will not even download at 100mbps seems for no reason sometimes.
sorry, this might be a dumb question but how do i insert a screenshot that's not a link.

It is highly likely that you have more bandwidth than the servers you are testing to. It would be extremely expensive for the to have a server that could connect to say a 40gbit interface and actually have cpu that could keep up.

Realistically you might see high speed test numbers but when you go to download actual data you will get nowhere close to even the speedtest numbers. A server that provides actual data is much more complex than a speedtest server designed to just test networks.

It all depends on why you feel you need a 10gbit connection. You need to test against the sites you actually plan to use and see what the maximum transfer rates you can actually get.

More bandwidth only helps files transfers it does not make web pages run faster or something like netflix look better. Some thing like 4k netflix is one of the large ones and it only uses about 30mbps and it will not use more even if you have it. Most other application are much much less.

Jan 20, 2024
It is highly likely that you have more bandwidth than the servers you are testing to. It would be extremely expensive for the to have a server that could connect to say a 40gbit interface and actually have cpu that could keep up.

Realistically you might see high speed test numbers but when you go to download actual data you will get nowhere close to even the speedtest numbers. A server that provides actual data is much more complex than a speedtest server designed to just test networks.

It all depends on why you feel you need a 10gbit connection. You need to test against the sites you actually plan to use and see what the maximum transfer rates you can actually get.

More bandwidth only helps files transfers it does not make web pages run faster or something like netflix look better. Some thing like 4k netflix is one of the large ones and it only uses about 30mbps and it will not use more even if you have it. Most other application are much much less.
it's not that I need more bandwidth it just the point that if I'm paying for 10 gigs I would like to get 10 gigs or somewhat close. when the technician installed the internet and did a speed test on his laptop he got 11 gigs. He did the speed test on the fast.com maybe he got lucky i just assumed that some reason my desktop is not getting the right speeds

It is a possibility that it is the desktop but it is extremely hard to know at those speeds. Unless you have another machine that can run 10gbit and have a 10gbit switch you have to use internet based tools to test.
Does the router itself have the ability to run speedtest, many of the fancy ones that can run on high speed internet connection can run tests. That would prove it was the pc I guess not that it would tell you what it was.

Maybe get linux bootable USB image. I have never tried to run speedtest that fast on one of those. It all depends on if anything at all is written to the USB stick, it will not touch the ssd in your machine. I think speedtest run 100% from memory.

This is purely to see if maybe it is a driver issue. Which itself might be a problem. Although linux supports almost all the 10gbit cards it is hard to say if the prebuilt images has the driver.

In any case if it would run under linux but not windows then you are back to guessing what in the massive pile of crap called windows something is restricting the data. The driver is the easy thing to change but there is so much overhead in windows espeically when you are forced to run web based testing tools.

Jan 20, 2024
It is a possibility that it is the desktop but it is extremely hard to know at those speeds. Unless you have another machine that can run 10gbit and have a 10gbit switch you have to use internet based tools to test.
Does the router itself have the ability to run speedtest, many of the fancy ones that can run on high speed internet connection can run tests. That would prove it was the pc I guess not that it would tell you what it was.

Maybe get linux bootable USB image. I have never tried to run speedtest that fast on one of those. It all depends on if anything at all is written to the USB stick, it will not touch the ssd in your machine. I think speedtest run 100% from memory.

This is purely to see if maybe it is a driver issue. Which itself might be a problem. Although linux supports almost all the 10gbit cards it is hard to say if the prebuilt images has the driver.

In any case if it would run under linux but not windows then you are back to guessing what in the massive pile of crap called windows something is restricting the data. The driver is the easy thing to change but there is so much overhead in windows espeically when you are forced to run web based testing tools.
I went into my modem settings and found a speed test option when I do the test I'm only getting 4 gigs down and 1 gig up with 2 latency.

Maybe call the ISP and ask them what the maximum expected test you should see on that router. A router does not have a very big cpu.

If it should be higher then they should be willing to try to fix something.

ISP have always been rather deceptive about the speeds. They always have the "up to" disclaimer. I know lately it is now very common to get 900+mbps on a 1gbit connection. The faster ones though you still see a lot of people complain that they can not get the full rated speed.

Jan 20, 2024
Maybe call the ISP and ask them what the maximum expected test you should see on that router. A router does not have a very big cpu.

If it should be higher then they should be willing to try to fix something.

ISP have always been rather deceptive about the speeds. They always have the "up to" disclaimer. I know lately it is now very common to get 900+mbps on a 1gbit connection. The faster ones though you still see a lot of people complain that they can not get the full rated speed.
yeah I have a technician coming on Thursday thanks for the help. will update if they say it's my pc.

Opcod

Distinguished
May 12, 2006
best is also a fresh install no internet, no update. many time the mtu do cause issues and depend it's not always 9000 value. And also what the provider do give.. a 10gb dedicated is not same as 10gb share...

Ralston18

Titan