10 Windows 10 Settings You Should Change Right Away

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

The biggest issue with this is that plenty of malware know how to mask themselves as other programs. The downside is that UAC doesn't scan the SHA-1 or MD5 so it is not checking that the program trying to run is actually a the program it states it is so if you allow one program once and malware hides itself as that program then UAC is pointless.

Thats the problem. TH is trying to push into the mainstream every-man audience while it was designed for the enthusiasts. You never tell the every-man audience to do only what enthusiasts would know. I haven't used a mainstream AV on my home systems for over 10 years because I know what I am doing. I would never, as both a enthusiasts or IT Professional, tell other people to do that and recommend whatever the best free is or if they prefer to pay the best paid for AV because they do not know what they are doing.

I state disabling UAC is bad for that reason.

Jan 9, 2019
You all do realize that UAC "On or Off" will not stop malware or any viruses. Malware has been written to circumnavigate any UAC prompts just as Viruses do.

I agree but turning it off gives you the peace and quiet instead of being nagged every time you open a new programme. That said, an Administrator account with either a weak password or none at all, should leave it on.

beardrinksbeer

Honorable
Jun 17, 2014

I am the other way, I have AV, but bitDefender is aggressive.
You have to have one, AV or UAC, you cannot do without both
(it also depends what sites you visit or what you download ;))

Windows has Defender (not the best but better than a lot of the paid for AV) and I always keep portable versions of SAS and MBAM just for kicks.

I think this is a reason for one of our members to write a tutorial and improve upon this article. While I think 6 and 9 are helpful I don't think any of them help to address "Microsoft has some default preferences that will slow you down.". This article felt more like a power user telling normal users how he tweaks his PC for his needs.

What about Adjusting the appearance and performance of Windows. That is certainly one area that can address a default M$ setting that could be slowing down your PC.

Can you do better? Stop complaining and get to training(others) with a tutorial.

Those were just somebody's PERSONAL preferences and not a must in an way. More of a problem may be all that junkware that usually comes with brand name computers/devices. All of those non-native windows applications should be carefully evaluated and only ones that may apply to particular user selected. Many times some (trial version) of a 3rd party AV is installed whose license will soon expire and leave you without any protection and with serious crimp in the performance.

0InVader0

Commendable
Apr 12, 2016
Honestly, I don't see how disabling UAC is a big deal in this article. Consider this: the kind of dumb users that would be impacted by this change in security is the kind of user that would just immediately click "Ok" or "Yes" on every pop-up window without reading, so it really would be just an annoyance.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS