[SOLVED] 100-200ms cs mm search, pls help.

Nov 16, 2019
Hello everyone, South African in desperate need of help here, sorry if this is not the right place or anything, I'm just baffled and know you guys like to help, so your essentially my brains atm with this issue, because I've run out of things to try.
So every time I try to play matchmaking, I either start at 90ms, restart search and it goes higher maybe or if it's late at night it might at best hit 30/40ms more often than not when one would assume everyone else isn't hogging they're servers.

right now at 1:02pm I start search and 130ms is displayed, if I search a few more times it's likely it may hit 70 or so but jump again sporadically.

ping -t to what I assume is they're server shows 1ms response almost all the time, so they say it's not they're side.

I've been talking with my ISP trying to get it solved, but even showing these results they say it's my side most likely, which makes no sense as to why I can usually play fine in the mornings, albeit with glitches and hops at random during said matches.

Even on community servers I have this problem it seems, if I were to conect to a usually 30ms comm deathmatch server it will likely show 90-140ms in the server browser, if I do connect I might hit like 70-80, and then randomly jump depending on whatever is going on in the background.

I'm sorry as well if this wasn't the right place to come to ask for help or anything, but you guys seem to know your stuff and I've always found good info here, please I really need help, this has been going on for months.

The best glimmer of hope for this connection of mine is that I know the baseline ping CAN hit 27ms at the very least, and that's when searching csgo match back when it did work like it was suppose to, my mm max ping is always as low as possible of course.

I am on ethernet, and also have enabled 5ghz band through my isp, but this did not seem to help too much, my NAT type is also supposedly open which I am paying for to have open, however using the xbox live teredo function to check nat type latency almost always show 300ms and unable to verify.

I used to have an xbox360 a year or 3 back and never had a major problem, even on a 2mbps copper line which was really bad to be honest, it doesn't add up somewhere.

This connection of mine, goes as such, a 15m ethernet cable from pc to router, up another length roughly 12m to a dish on our roof, which hits a mountain tower, which then sends that to a fiber network in the city a fair 1-2 hour drive away.

so to be fair there is chance for problems all along, I'd just love to know what the problem is, so I can either shout at them or cry myself to sleep.

I should probably note that iprelease/renew does seem to alleviate the problem, sometimes, in my best mind it seem to be a routing issue or something, but I'm really not all that knowledgeable about these things.

Gosh, so sorry, it's been too long for me to deal with this issue.

Thank you for your help/advice in advance everyone.

Solution
You have to do more testing with actual ping commands. Tracert does not run long enough to find random spikes.

You are getting consistent 1ms ping to your router which means it can not be anything related to cables or ports etc. This pretty much proves it is nothing in your house.

The problem is likely in equipment you have no control or access. You could do some more testing and maybe the ISP can fix something if you point it out to them. They likely will not be able to fix it since this type of issue is extremely common issue for the type of internet you are using.
You have to do better testing but when you have any kind of radio link in the path you tend to have random latency issues.

You will only get a 1ms ping to your router in your house. Even with fiber directly into your house you will get 3-5 to the ISP.

I would ping something like 8.8.8.8 which is a google dns server that is duplicated in many cities.

Your next step is to run something like tracert to 8.8.8.8. You would then ping hops in the trace. Likely hop2 which is the radio connection will show lots of spikes.

In any case you can not fix anything that is outside your house. If the spikes are in hop2 then you might ask the ISP to look at it but since this is a radio link they may not be able to do much.

Reactions: SavageHippieZA
Nov 16, 2019
Thanks a million Mr.Bill.

I'm not sure what to make of this then, as it's not a huge hop I suppose, but the others look quite bad, I'm assuming the first column on the left is my hops? Maybe this is showing some sort of lag with the router or maybe with my gigbait e port or more likely in my mind, my ethernet cable? I would assume maybe it's damaged possibly.

1 <1 ms <1 ms <1 ms 192.168.11.1
2 1 ms 9 ms 3 ms 192.168.71.1
3 7 ms 6 ms 6 ms 172.18.16.153
4 50 ms 20 ms 66 ms 172.18.16.109
5 22 ms 17 ms 17 ms 172.18.16.149
6 15 ms 79 ms 23 ms 172.18.16.97
7 21 ms 34 ms 24 ms 160.226.128.5
8 60 ms 63 ms 35 ms google.ixp.joburg [196.60.8.166]
9 31 ms 59 ms 32 ms 74.125.245.193
10 * 41 ms 62 ms 172.253.65.253 (I do wonder what this asterix is)
11 25 ms 53 ms 94 ms dns.google [8.8.8.8]

Last edited:
You have to do more testing with actual ping commands. Tracert does not run long enough to find random spikes.

You are getting consistent 1ms ping to your router which means it can not be anything related to cables or ports etc. This pretty much proves it is nothing in your house.

The problem is likely in equipment you have no control or access. You could do some more testing and maybe the ISP can fix something if you point it out to them. They likely will not be able to fix it since this type of issue is extremely common issue for the type of internet you are using.

Reactions: SavageHippieZA
Solution