Question 100% CPU and 50% GPU

andrewsyzonenko5

Prominent
Aug 23, 2018
Hi! I’ve recently built my first gaming pc (with the specs below) and all is going great so far. A lot of the games are running smoothly, but i have noticed something. For games like ARK and COD: Black Ops 3, the CPU hits 100 and the GPU averages around 50-60 and was wondering what was the reasoning behind and how to fix? I run MSI Afterburner in the background with (Power Limit 100; Temp. Limit 83; Core clock +225; Memory Clock +700) and the temperature stays around 60. Any help would be much appreciated, thank you!

Specs:
Motherboard: GIGABYTE B450M DS3H; CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 2600x; GPU; GeForce GTX 1660; Power Supply: EVGA 700W 80+ Bronze; Memory: Corsair Vengeance 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4; Case: ThermalTake V200 TG RGB

Hi! I’ve recently built my first gaming pc (with the specs below) and all is going great so far. A lot of the games are running smoothly, but i have noticed something. For games like ARK and COD: Black Ops 3, the CPU hits 100 and the GPU averages around 50-60 and was wondering what was the reasoning behind and how to fix? I run MSI Afterburner in the background with (Power Limit 100; Temp. Limit 83; Core clock +225; Memory Clock +700) and the temperature stays around 60. Any help would be much appreciated, thank you!

Specs:
Motherboard: GIGABYTE B450M DS3H; CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 2600x; GPU; GeForce GTX 1660; Power Supply: EVGA 700W 80+ Bronze; Memory: Corsair Vengeance 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4; Case: ThermalTake V200 TG RGB
What are the frequencies of CPU cores when loaded to 100% ? Is PBO enabled in the BIOS ?

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Search game specifically on cpu usage. There are tweaks for cod like cpu workers etc. Both Ark/Cod are unoptimised and are heavy single core users. It's not your system as a whole.

Help the primary core focus more on these games, don't run too much background stuff.

Disable Game Bar but leave Game mode on. Game mode helps to prioritise game. Won't notice anything but helps to have it on so you're not interrupted by Win updates or notifications.

Set Windows power plan to Balance and set min processor state to 10%.

Disable Cortana.

Try limit fps using Msi Afterburner or Nvidia Inspector. Especially for Cod3.

Cpu needs to prepare frames before it ships those to the gpu. 1660 shouldn't be too much for your cpu in 1080p, but if game's cpu usage isn't spread out properly across all cores, it can be a problem at higher frame rates. Faster ram 3000+ can help the cpu do more in this regard.

Last edited:
Reactions: andrewsyzonenko5