100% CPU and disk usage when copying files

carl12

Commendable
Oct 27, 2016
Hello

The problem is, when I copy a file from an external HDD or any USB to the internal drive, my CPU usage spikes up to 100%. It does not go back to normal unless I cancel the copy. Also both of the HDDs I am using go to 100% usage.

The F disk is the external drive and the D is the internal.
Mwt5oP.png

I tried copying a file inside of the D drive and in that case only the D drive usage goes crazy.
H0dlE9.png

I tried playing with the power options but nothing changed

The when I sort the processes it is windows explorer (obviously) the one causing that.

I have windows 10 enterprise

It is worth noting that I do not notice any lagging with the computer and everything seems to be working normally. The weird thing is why does copy need so much power

Also it is a new PC I assembled like a week ago, maybe there is something I'm missing

Solution
Hello again, @Carl!

It's normal that the HDD usage spikes whenever you do a hard drive diagnostic test. Such utilities put additional stress on the drive during the testing, however, they also help you determine what exactly could be wrong with it. I'd recommend you backup your data off-site, if you are concerned about it and then repeat the tests. Just make sure that the WD Black passes both the QUICK and the EXTENDED test. As for the other drives, you could try running their brand-specific diagnostic tools and see what the SMART results show.

If the issues are not present another PC, have you had any recent Windows 10 updates?

SuperSoph_WD
Welcome to the community, Carl!

Have you tried defragging your hard drives? I'd also advise you to make sure you got the latest USB hub controller drivers installed straight from the motherboard manufacturer's official website. Check if re-installing them from there would cause such spikes in the CPU usage.
I'd suggest you check the Resource monitor and see what processes could be causing the spikes in both the HDD and CPU. Another thing you should try is swapping the SATA cable and the SATA port where your WD Black is connected to the mobo.
What is the usage of the external HDD when you are copying files to it? It might also be a good idea to run its manufacturer's brand-specific diagnostic tool to check up on the health and SMART status. The same goes for your WD Black, you need to run the QUICK and EXTENDED tests from WD's Data LifeGuard Diagnostics for Windows.

If you have access to another computer, you should try plugging the external drive there to check if the spikes will still be present.

Let me know how it goes. Good luck!
SuperSoph_WD

carl12

Commendable
Oct 27, 2016

Okay so I installed the latest USB hub controller drivers from the manufacturer's website. I swapped the sata port and cable. I checked the ressource monitor

nnR6VJ.png

The system is the one causing that
FesaOK.png

I tried many external drives and they all act the same way. In here I am copying from H to D
OFIcuA.png

Even copying from an external to an external. In here I am copying from F to H
0CzGCj.png

I tried the external drives on another computer and no spikes happen everything normal.
I ran the WD's Data LifeGuard Diagnostics for Windows. I was running the extended test. It passed the first test. Disk Usage was 100% while doing the test so I stopped it.

Hello again, @Carl!

It's normal that the HDD usage spikes whenever you do a hard drive diagnostic test. Such utilities put additional stress on the drive during the testing, however, they also help you determine what exactly could be wrong with it. I'd recommend you backup your data off-site, if you are concerned about it and then repeat the tests. Just make sure that the WD Black passes both the QUICK and the EXTENDED test. As for the other drives, you could try running their brand-specific diagnostic tools and see what the SMART results show.

If the issues are not present another PC, have you had any recent Windows 10 updates?

SuperSoph_WD

Solution