Question 100% CPU usage playing Games.

Aug 18, 2019
Hey guys!
So recently i have reinstalled Windows 10 and so i have been more cautless looking at the PC performance.
I own a laptop, it's not the best but pretty okay to play normal multiplayer games, specs: i5 7800, gtx 1050 ti.
So basically i notice when playing fortenite, the CPU usage is running at 100% while the GPU at around 40/60%.
The framerate is okay, in medium settings i play around 100/120 fps, what do i notice is that when i power up the settings to max, the frame rate is lower, around 60/80 but the game feels more smooth. When i do this, the GPU usage ups to 80%/90% and the CPU sticks at 100%.
When i turn on VSYNC, the CPU usage downs to like 60%, and the GPU to like 30%.
Is this Normal or Cpu is bottlenecking the GPU? is there anything that i can do to increase the GPU performance?
-All drivers up to date.
-PC set to max performance in Power options/ Nvidia settings.

timbroslice

Prominent
Jun 13, 2019
At lower settings your CPU is bottle necking the GPU.

Just run the game at max settings because your display is probably 60hz and it sounds like that's offering the best experience.

For vsync, yeah that's normal. Its limiting your frame rate so the components aren't working as hard.

There isn't much you can do to increase performance but I don't understand why you'd want to, It sounds like the game runs fine for what you have.

Dunlop0078

Titan
Ambassador
CPU usage at idle? CPU temps? i5 7800? Thats not a real CPU. Did you mean 7600 or 7400?

That certainly sounds like a cpu bottleneck. I wouldn't think a kably lake i5 would hold back a 1050 ti that much but I haven't seen that CPU benchmarked with modern games so maybe. It likely feels smoother at the higher settings because frame times are more consistent, the GPU is not waiting for the CPU to catch up as often put simply.

Not much you can do about it assuming the CPU is not overheating and throttling, meaning it reaches it's turbo speeds and stays there while gaming. . Besides getting a better CPU.

Aug 18, 2019
CPU usage at idle? CPU temps? i5 7800? Thats not a real CPU. Did you mean 7600 or 7400?

That certainly sounds like a cpu bottleneck. I wouldn't think a kably lake i5 would hold back a 1050 ti that much but I haven't seen that CPU benchmarked with modern games so maybe. It likely feels smoother at the higher settings because frame times are more consistent, the GPU is not waiting for the CPU to catch up as often put simply.

Not much you can do about it assuming the CPU is not overheating and throttling, meaning it reaches it's turbo speeds and stays there while gaming. . Besides getting a better CPU.
I5 7300hq* Sorry my bad :/
CPU temps While gaming, between 68 and 78ºC, normally around 72ºC
How can a i5 7300q bottlenecking a 1050 ti

Aug 18, 2019
At lower settings your CPU is bottle necking the GPU.

Just run the game at max settings because your display is probably 60hz and it sounds like that's offering the best experience.

For vsync, yeah that's normal. Its limiting your frame rate so the components aren't working as hard.

There isn't much you can do to increase performance but I don't understand why you'd want to, It sounds like the game runs fine for what you have.
The thing is that at lower settings the CPU stays at 100% sometimes, but generally around 90/95%.
At max settings the GPU boosts up to 80% but the CPU sticks at 100% all the time