Question 100% CPU usage while running Rainbow 6

May 30, 2019
I have a 17700k and a 1070, I was experiencing frame drop 2 days ago in the game rainbow six siege. I thought it was my GPU and started OCing and uninstalling drivers. But turns out it was my CPU this entire time. Its never been at 100% while playing any game. The most it would be at is 70-80 but never a full red 100%. I play on game mode from bios which basically OCs the CPU. If anyone could help I would appreciate it. Thanks

I'd expect the i7-7700K to stay quite busy in many games (mine is!), as 8 threads only go so far these days in many of the newest games like Battelfield 1 or 5....(better GPUs like the 1070 and above at 1080P might further challenge the 7700K to keep up, depending on the game)

Check all your temps and clock speeds within HWMonitor, make sure no throttling is occurring, and that everything is behaving as it should (I use MCE mode, where all cores go to max turbo, and, Intel XTU has the max multiplier set to 47X, which works flawlessly in Balanced power mode....; 800-1000 Mhz while surfing, 4.7 GHz while gaming...)

As WIndows and Nvidia drivers are updated regularly, you might have had some glitch...or even be updating in the background while you are playing, causing performance hits....

Maybe you can try a fresh install and rule out any glitches, or, roll back to an earlier image? (If performance is restored, you know your hardware is ok, adn that you are fighting WIndows/drivers/game issues..)