100% Disk Usage, at a loss as to what's causing it!

GilaStomper

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2013
Over the last 2-3 days my PC has been stuck at 100% disk usage and the baffling thing is I can't find the process responsible for it.

M7qU7kk.png

Here's a picture of my Task manager displaying I'm using 100% of my HDD (It's Displayed as 50% in the manager as I have a SSD too) and the task manager lists processes that do not ADD UP TO 100%!

TZg9eDy.png

Next The resource manager doesn't provide much help either and just has the same issue I can't seem to pick out any abnormalities.

-I have disabled Superfetch and Search.

-I have disabled compattelrunner in GPEDIT and just about everywhere else on my PC even deleting compattelrunner.exe from System32.

-I have disabled all the active data collection settings and windows defender settings.

-I have ran this command witch used to breifly solve the problem for 5 minutes before it my disk hit 100% usage again;

sc delete DiagTrack
sc delete dmwappushservice
echo "" > C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Diagnosis\ETLLogs\AutoLogger\AutoLogger-Diagtrack-Listener.etl
reg add "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\DataCollection" /v AllowTelemetry /t REG_DWORD /d 0 /f

I have been trying all day to solve this issue and I cannot find the program that's causing 100% disk usage on my PC though based on the fact disabling compattelrunner.exe has had a middling effect I'm inclined to believe this is a windows 10 issue. (I'm using Win10 Home Premium 64bit)

Solution
check if you dont have anybackup software running in background also in win 10 they where using peer exchange for the update so disable it .
Try chkdsk.exe /f /r by typing it into CMD. Search CMD and run as admin.

Change your page file size. Use the keyboard, press Windows key and Pause/ Break key at the same time. Then choose Advanced System Settings on the left panel. Go to the Advanced tab, then click Settings. Go to Advanced tab again, and choose Change… in the Virtual memory section. Ensure Automatically manage paging file size for all drives checkbox is NOT ticked.

Select your windows drive (the hard drive or partition that has Windows installed on it – usually C:), and enter an Initial size and Maximum size for your virtual memory:
Initial size – This value varies, depending on your computer. If you’re not sure what value to use, just enter whatever the number is in the Recommended category.
Maximum size – Don’t set this value too high. It should be about 1.5 times the size of your physical RAM. A PC Shouldn't have more than 1.5 times a page file. Once you’ve entered your virtual memory values, click Set, then click OK to continue.

Disable your antivirus to make sure its not the problem.

GilaStomper

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2013

I've tried this before I have 16bg of RAM or (16384mb) so Ive set these as the values.

8M8gsUQ.png

Limit the possible causes by shutting down a bunch of services by blackvipers safe desktop settings.
http://www.blackviper.com/service-configurations/black-vipers-windows-10-service-configurations/

Also try ccleaner to make sure something something odd isn't going on in registry. There a few other programs that may help in the popular downloads.
http://download.cnet.com/windows/

GilaStomper

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2013

Whats the setting for backgroundservices, what do you mean? Also why put the page system on Auto from what I''ve searched leaving it on auto can cause 100% disk usage.

GilaStomper

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2013

I'll try but now after sitting below 5-10% disk use I've gone back up to 100% disk usage. This is really weird, after 10 or so minutes my disk use peaks for some time then returns to normal and if I open a game or program like steam I hit max disk usage? I'm really confused as to whats causing this.

GilaStomper

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2013

I've installed Windows on my SSD and I'm now booting off that and the HDD not the SSD still is stuck at 100% usage!