Question 100% Disk Usage randomly?

Aug 19, 2019
Language
Hey, so recently playing gta5 I've started getting fps drops and stuttering. I've ran task manager with it and saw my Disk drive was going to 100% every so often. I have a 1TB 7200 HDD. Unsure of model atm. It also jumps up when opening applications and randomly just idle on the desktop. I dont know if it is this [language] with GTA but I think it is. I just want to know should I replace it? Is there something I can do to fix it? Or what's wrong with it. Thanks
My PC spec are
Ryzen 5 2600
Gigabyte b450
1050ti
16gb vengance 3000mhz ram
1 TB hdd
4x 120mm fans

Last edited by a moderator:
You can certainly try another SATA data cable on another SATA port which will rule out standard intermittent issues due to connections....; if no change, that leaves the drive.

I'd check CrystalDiskInfo to make sure you have no reallocated sectors/pending/uncorrectable sector errors (Fields C4,C5,C6 within CrystalDiskInfo output display), as many drives that are beginning to have issues often need to retry some reads a few times to get the data, which can spike usage or make usage rivaling watching paint dry...in the winter....

Aug 19, 2019
You can certainly try another SATA data cable on another SATA port which will rule out standard intermittent issues due to connections....; if no change, that leaves the drive.

I'd check CrystalDiskInfo to make sure you have no reallocated sectors/pending/uncorrectable sector errors (Fields C4,C5,C6 within CrystalDiskInfo output display), as many drives that are beginning to have issues often need to retry some reads a few times to get the data, which can spike usage or make usage rivaling watching paint dry...in the winter....
Okay,I'll try a different sata port first, thanks. I'll update you soon

Aug 19, 2019
Yeah,still no difference. I tried different sata port and cable. Still goes to 100 randomly. Ram usage on idle is 19%. (With discord and steam running in background) and disk usage randomly hopd up ti 100. Ususlly stays at like 97.