[SOLVED] 100% disk usage when gaming (HDD)

Jan 15, 2021
Hi.
3 months ago i build my first pc, and recently I've had some games freeze up and noticed when that happens my disk usage (HHD) goes to 100%. This only happens to games on my hard drive, primarily story games like GTA V and Mirrors Edge Catalyst (what I'm currently playing right now) as well as others. Games on my SSD run fine. I've tried every fix I can see including disabling windows search, SuperFetch, and I've checked the health of the hard drive. I bought everything new so the hard drive isn't even 3 months old yet, its not full, and its good heath. Its also not a ram issue as like I said I've reinstalled games to my SSD and they run fine, and i also have 24gb of ram installed (all of its available and working). Appreciate any help!

My specs:
Ryzen 5 2600
GeForce 1660ti (6gb)
24gb RAM
Gigabyte B450M DS3H
Western Digital 1tb HHD
Kingston 240gb SSD

How much empty space on the HDD?
Have you checked which processes could be causing the spike on the HDD?

If you have a 5400rpm HDD, it might not be able to keep up with data requests from games.
That's why you do not have that issue with the SSD, which could be at least 5x faster than the HDD.

Last edited:
Jan 15, 2021
How much empty space on the HDD?
Have you checked which processes could be causing the spike on the HDD?

If you have a 5400rpm HDD, it might not be able to keep up with data requests from games.
That's why you do not have that issue with the SSD, which could be at least 5x faster than the HDD.
I have 330gb left of space, yes and it's always the game I'm playing, and my HDD is 7200 rpm