100% disk usage

smoothpeanut22

Prominent
Oct 14, 2017
Hello experts :)
I've just noticed that my HDD usage is pretty high and slow speed even when doing small tasks like copying something from one place to another, and it also reaches 100% when I'm playing a game, I've done HDD test but it came with zero errors I can't understand what's wrong? And I'm running windows 10
My pc specs
Gpu : Gtx 1060
Cpu : i5 7500
Mobo : Asus strix b250f
Ram : 16gb ddr4
HDD : WD 500gb
Thanks in advance for any help :)

Solution
100% disk usage could mean any of the following
it could be a sign your hard disk is failing or
your windows dll/system files are corrupted or
youve been infected

you can start doing any of the following troubleshooting

CHECK YOUR WINDOWS
press "winkey+xa" to open command console. type "sfc /scannow".
if there are errors and unable to be fixed. type "dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth /source:c:\<ISO file**>"
** download the media creation tool to create the windows source file in the link below
https://www.microsoft.com/en-in/software-download/windows10

OR

CHECK YOUR SERVICES
press "winkey+r". type "msconfig". services. hide all microsoft. disable all. and restart.
if the 100% usage is stil there, then its not any of your...

smoothpeanut22

Prominent
Oct 14, 2017

It's 50% full and I have no background antivirus scans running and I disabled windows updates I'm sure they aren't running

Since you are running windows 10 it should be easy enough to see if something is chewing up your system resources (using your hard drive causing it to hit 100% for simple tasks)
Press CTRL+ALT+DEL
Click "Task Manager"
Click on the "Performance" tab
Click on "Open Resource Monitor" at the bottom
Click on the "Disk" tab

In here you will be able to see all of the processes that are using your disk. If you see one that seems to be doing too much you should google it and end the process if needed. Also if you find it's something that isn't NEEDED then I recommend you un-install that program OR set the process to not start when your computer boots.

Also, at 500GB you're be much better off with a SSD at the same size.

marksavio

Estimable
Dec 23, 2017
100% disk usage could mean any of the following
it could be a sign your hard disk is failing or
your windows dll/system files are corrupted or
youve been infected

you can start doing any of the following troubleshooting

CHECK YOUR WINDOWS
press "winkey+xa" to open command console. type "sfc /scannow".
if there are errors and unable to be fixed. type "dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth /source:c:\<ISO file**>"
** download the media creation tool to create the windows source file in the link below
https://www.microsoft.com/en-in/software-download/windows10

OR

CHECK YOUR SERVICES
press "winkey+r". type "msconfig". services. hide all microsoft. disable all. and restart.
if the 100% usage is stil there, then its not any of your apps/software. if its running normally, go back to the "msconfig" window, and sort by "manufacturer" and active one manufacturer services at a time and restart. keep doing it until you see the 100% usage.

OR

CHECK YOUR HARDDISK
press "winkey+xa". type "chkdsk /f /x c:".

If none of these works, use the windows installer above from the Media Creation Tool to install a fresh install of windows.

Solution

marksavio

Estimable
Dec 23, 2017
so ignore my previous post then. it could be your antivirus actively scanning files on realtime as they are being accessed/read by your system. BUT it should be your CPU going 100% not your I/O disk access. :/

but try to do a disk check anyways. unusual disk activity should be checked on its health first. there are 3rd party software out there to help you in detail buts probably too technical.

4745454b

Titan
First, I fixed your post. If you are going to quote a message, make sure your reply goes in the same post.

Back to the problem, if if happens only when you are doing something, that sounds fairly normal for a spinning drive. What drive is it? If it's shooting up to 100% usage when you are copying stuff, that's a lot of read/write that's happening for a spinning disk. As long as it's happening when you are doing something I'd say it's normal and not worry about it.

smoothpeanut22

Prominent
Oct 14, 2017

Thanks a lot Marco I'll try these steps right away and post the results

TRENDING THREADS