100% Disk Usage

Jun 10, 2018
Hi, my hard drive is almost always at 100% disk usage when my computer is running, sometimes going lower if no programs are running, but if I try to run anything, it will jump back up to 100%. It’s been happening since around summer last year, but I don’t remember anything in particular causing it. I’ve tried every fix under the sun to no avail, and I even replaced the hard drive with another at Christmas and reinstalled windows 10. Unfortunately, this one is noisier than the last so it’s even more annoying when under stress.

If it’s useful, here’s a pic of the resource monitor and task manager, and also of crystaldiskinfo. Oh and here's my specs if you need them. By the looks of it the hard drive itself is fine, which makes sense being as it was replaced lol. I’m not a computer expert but was wondering if this could be an issue somewhere else, like the motherboard? And how would I go about checking if that’s the case?

Thanks.

jdlech2

Prominent
Mar 27, 2018
Yep, that was quite useful.

https://www.file.net/process/compattelrunner.exe.html
The genuine CompatTelRunner.exe file is a software component of Microsoft Windows by Microsoft Corporation.
"Compattelrunner.exe" is the Microsoft Compatibility Appraiser, an executable file installed in Windows 7 and 8.1 machines by the update described in KB2977759. It is installed in "C:\Windows\System32". It is set to execute by the Task Scheduler which can be used to disable it. Large numbers of instances may operate concurrently. It scans application files residing on the computer to assess their compatibility with Windows 10 if an upgrade is performed. Described as part of the Customer Experience Improvement Program for PC's which opt-in, it collects and sends telemetry to Microsoft servers. Although not a heavy CPU user, it can monopolize disk I/O for up to 20 minutes at startup.
You can turn it off, opt out, or let it run.

So tell us, how did this program improve your customer experience? /excessive sarcasm