[SOLVED] 100% Diskrate Causes Games to be Unplayable

Slusher

Distinguished
May 22, 2016
Hey,
Over the past couple years, I've been upgrading my gaming PC, and it has gotten pretty good to my standards, but when I play games like Battlefield 5 or Black ops 4, I get good fps but the gameplay is RIDDLED with stutters and lagspikes and its horribly unplayable.. And when I open my task manager, it says 100% diskrate-- and when I shut the game off after a couple minutes the diskrate goes to its normal percentage and the computer is fine again..
How can I avoid this issue? Should I replace my current HDD? Should I get an additional SSD and put those games on there? Is it fixable?
My specs are:
MSI 1070ti
8gb ram
i7-7700k
650w psu
My driver is Toshiba DT01ACA100 if you need that, its the only part in my PC left that came with the prebuilt I had purchased originally. Not sure if it's good or not.

If you can help, thanks!

Solution
If I were to take a guess at first glance -

The 2 games you've listed there stipulate 8GB as a minimum requirement. If you have additional processes running and using any RAM at the same time, your RAM will start using virtual memory on your storage drive.

Which will increase disk usage and potentially cause stutters based on how quickly the data is transferring. If this is the cause, potentially increasing/decreasing virtual memory may help, or a boost up to 16GB would probably alleviate the issue.

Might be worth running a stats monitor in game to verify it is actually the disk peaking when it stutters. I'd also check what background applications you are running at the same time.

Never hurts to run a virus/malware scan, and SFC or...

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador

The 2 games you've listed there stipulate 8GB as a minimum requirement. If you have additional processes running and using any RAM at the same time, your RAM will start using virtual memory on your storage drive.

Which will increase disk usage and potentially cause stutters based on how quickly the data is transferring. If this is the cause, potentially increasing/decreasing virtual memory may help, or a boost up to 16GB would probably alleviate the issue.

Might be worth running a stats monitor in game to verify it is actually the disk peaking when it stutters. I'd also check what background applications you are running at the same time.

Never hurts to run a virus/malware scan, and SFC or DISM to make sure there is nothing going wrong at a software level.

Solution

Slusher

Distinguished
May 22, 2016

Never hurts to run a virus/malware scan, and SFC or DISM to make sure there is nothing going wrong at a software level.
I am just going to buy more ram, as I was planning to in the future-- but I'm also going to purchase an additional SSD (I was ALSO going to buy this in the future, I'm out of space)-- Do I need to buy special cables? I'm planning on buying the MX500 Crucial 1TB SSD

Mar 3, 2019
I am just going to buy more ram, as I was planning to in the future-- but I'm also going to purchase an additional SSD (I was ALSO going to buy this in the future, I'm out of space)-- Do I need to buy special cables? I'm planning on buying the MX500 Crucial 1TB SSD
Dont even try, i have a M.2 SSD and 16GB of ram and a good GPU and CPU but it still does this.