100% hard disk usage when transferring file

Status
Not open for further replies.

hammerfall38

Reputable
Oct 30, 2017
hi

why my hardisk spiked to 100% usage when im transferring some file into it?
because of this, it makes copy paste some file to this hardisk became unbearable because it slow as hell that dip to 0KB/s, if im lucky i get 1MB/s where it took 40 minutes to transfer 1gb file into this hardisk.

i've done chdsk, memtest, hdtune, defrag, scan with AV, turn off AV and firewall etch etch but nothing to show that my hardisk having a problem like dying or have a virus etch etch, all gives a positive result.

CrystalDiskInfo result
CrystalDiskMark

i also update every driver, do some clean boot, run in safe mode, change the cable, change another port in motherboard but the problem still prevail.

my ssd (Disk 0) dont have this such of this problem, only my hardisk (Disk 1) have this problem.

do i need to format my pc?

USAFRet

Titan
Yes, copy stuff to a drive may indeed spike it to 100% use.

This is my system, copying 7GB from one SSD to another. 100%.
0ycFesV.png

If you HDD is fragmented, the actual time to transfer may be longer. It has to look for blank blocks to copy to.
But it would still be, and should be, at 100% for that period of time.

That hard drive is a 5400 RPM drive...

So its not really the fastest drive in the world. It also matters HOW you did the copy/transfer. Was it done over the network? Or from a USB? Transfering from your SSD to HDD???

SSD A LOT faster then a standard HHD drive and would reduce overhead.

So if anything issue is with that slow 5400 RPM HDD.

hammerfall38

Reputable
Oct 30, 2017

does your hdd/ssd transfer speed dip to 0KB/s like mine?
ngsfnVG.png

i dont have this problem before
can transfer with ease without any problem

hammerfall38

Reputable
Oct 30, 2017

Was it done over the network? Or from a USB? Transfering from your SSD to HDD???
any storage that transfer into Disk 1 and into another storage

i know 5400 RPM is not fast but before this i dont have this kind of problem
i can transfer my files without any problem
but now it cant even move to above 0KB/s
ngsfnVG.png

Also might want to run a check disk on that drive.

You can also try to use another medium for copying the data. Such as robocopy or anything else to see if that issue continues. It could narrow it down and tell us if issue is with the default OS file explorer copy or with the drive it's self etc...

But as mentioned before where you coming from and too also makes a big difference.

hammerfall38

Reputable
Oct 30, 2017

already defrag my hdd using defrag from windows and auslogics defrag
still giving me the same problem

hammerfall38

Reputable
Oct 30, 2017

i tried transfer using teracopy and it gave me an error cannot finish the transferring something like that
before it gave me that error, the transferring process kind of stuck and it resume rinse and repeat
i did running check disk before and it showed my hdd got a problem what so ever

hammerfall38

Reputable
Oct 30, 2017

this is what i get after running it for 24 hours for extended test using WD diagnostic
bt278Jb.png

Jun 20, 2021
Right so i see that this post is old but i habe the exact same issue and i havent seen any similarnthread so here is my situation:
I have my windows on an SSD and my games on an 1TB HDD. for some reason out of the blue hdd is peaking 100% the second i use it. i formatted it/defragged it and i tried transfering a movie to check the speed rate and usage and again is 0/kbps + 4000ms. any ideas if there is a fix to save my hdd or do i have to replace it?

USAFRet

Titan
Right so i see that this post is old but i habe the exact same issue and i havent seen any similarnthread so here is my situation:
I have my windows on an SSD and my games on an 1TB HDD. for some reason out of the blue hdd is peaking 100% the second i use it. i formatted it/defragged it and i tried transfering a movie to check the speed rate and usage and again is 0/kbps + 4000ms. any ideas if there is a fix to save my hdd or do i have to replace it?
Please start a NEW thread for your particular situation.
This one is several years old, and almost certainly different circumstances and equipment.

Status
Not open for further replies.