[SOLVED] 100% late packets ?

Jun 30, 2021
So i think i have been having this issue for a while. My download speeds are 70/10 and when downloading, it does hit that speeds. But if i were to open up youtube or any other website, it takes about 3 seconds before it actually starts loading. GTA V takes long to load too. This has been going on for a while now and i finally think i got around to what was causing it. 100% slow packets.

View: https://imgur.com/bHutPoo

I am sure that this wasn't the case a year ago when i change ISP's. It's only been happening since a couple months. I have done the basic troubleshooting to no avail. Any help?

Solution
It could be the testing tool. Late packets really has no exact network definition. It does not mean that the data is running at a lower transfer rate. Many times it is related to packet out of order issues but it is impossible to say what this site is talking about. It could be a setting in the tool that is not set properly and declares all packets over the limit even though they might be acceptable based on where you live and the distance to the testing center. Since it happens on multiple devices and multiple internet connections it makes it even more likely it is testing tool issue rather than a real problem.

You are getting your rated transfer rate on speedtest and you see no packet loss. These are the 2 key things that...
Before you get real far the first test is to try this on ethernet since you posted this on the wifi category. It could be your neighbor got a new router and is now stomping on your signals. Large and inconsistent latency is extremely common on wifi.

Try pingplotter instead it will show where the problem is. 8.8.8.8 is a good ip to test to since google has many of these servers located in many cities and has good connectivity to most ISP.

Be very careful this tool is very easy to misinterpret.....many people go red bad/green good but it is not that simple there is a lot of false positive in this tool.

Latency is either caused by distance or load conditions. Because you are seeing jitter in the ping test it tends to be load related. Be very sure you are not overloading your internet connection.

Jun 30, 2021
Before you get real far the first test is to try this on ethernet since you posted this on the wifi category. It could be your neighbor got a new router and is now stomping on your signals. Large and inconsistent latency is extremely common on wifi.

Try pingplotter instead it will show where the problem is. 8.8.8.8 is a good ip to test to since google has many of these servers located in many cities and has good connectivity to most ISP.

Be very careful this tool is very easy to misinterpret.....many people go red bad/green good but it is not that simple there is a lot of false positive in this tool.

Latency is either caused by distance or load conditions. Because you are seeing jitter in the ping test it tends to be load related. Be very sure you are not overloading your internet connection.
Heya! I'm so sorry for the late reply but i went to a friend's house today and ran the test on his wifi and i get the same results! 100% late packets! I tried it on my phone and the same results.... What is wrong...

It could be the testing tool. Late packets really has no exact network definition. It does not mean that the data is running at a lower transfer rate. Many times it is related to packet out of order issues but it is impossible to say what this site is talking about. It could be a setting in the tool that is not set properly and declares all packets over the limit even though they might be acceptable based on where you live and the distance to the testing center. Since it happens on multiple devices and multiple internet connections it makes it even more likely it is testing tool issue rather than a real problem.

You are getting your rated transfer rate on speedtest and you see no packet loss. These are the 2 key things that affect transfer speed. You do see a lot of jitter and high lantency...but that too might be the testing center location. Jitter and stuff like "late" ping does not cause slowness. You would see lag spikes in games and distorted voice in some comm programs.

Not sure what to suggest other than first trying this on ethernet so you can see if it is a wifi problem or it is something else. I mean do you really want to try something like reinstalling windows as your first troubleshooting option.

Solution