$100 Million Fund Aims to Spearhead Quantum Computing

Status
Not open for further replies.

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
question, what id the difference between the theoretical quantum computer and traditional?

i mean operateing differences and what would the processing power be between a cpu that uses quantum mechanical to work, and one that does not?

thats the part that i never understood, what the difference would be.

fuzznarf

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2011
in layman's terms, a quantum computer can effectively compute 'traditional' bits and either on (1), off(0), or both. this is called a qubit. It basically can 'predict' the oucome of a given logical gate given a said instruction. Traditional computers are staggeringly inefficient compared to quantum computers. imagine a 64 bit computer (2^62), or a qubit quantum computer (3^64) possibilities given a relatively small set of instructions. The more computational intensive the instruction the exponentially more time a traditional computer would take to complete the computation. Imagine a state where a computer has 1000 qubits of instruction to perform. A traditional computer would require 1000 1's and 1000 0's whereas a quantum computer could calculate all 2^1000 states simultaneously in one cycle. and the more qubits for a computation the the larger the gap in computation time.

G

Quantum computers 'predict' the 'answer' to problem very quickly. But the prediction might not be the real answer.

They would likely be very useful for statistical calculations, but would be useless for general computing.

G

First time comment, long time reader. The effect of quantum computing is tied directly to the physics of electromagnetism. Right now as we approach 14 nanometer chips and smaller we see a materials bottleneck where we cannot stream more data across the interfaces. The effect of quantum computers will be similar to what happened with transistor technology. In a period of 60 years we went from analog glass tube computing complexes that could only do basic math to phones that can process on the gigahertz spectrum. The difference this time is that we already have established communication networks and the supply chain economics to aid distribution. Quantum computers have far reaching technological implications for the miniaturization of electronics (LED contact lenses with translucent processors, etc.). Ultimately theoretical speeds are in the terahertz range which changes the precision of the tooling from Micro (Millionths) to Nano (Billionths). The implications also include storage which will theoretically increase to more than 1000 times the storage highest capacity disc platters ever made. Simply put, quantum computing will change everything because of the science and technology required to fully realize the idea. Materials science will have to improve drastically probably leading to a new industry involving high level chemistry, physics, and electronics to atomically assemble circuits. Quantum computing is also going to be a huge boon for nano machines because of decreased power use and the control of scale quantum computing offers.
-Julian

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]fuzznarf[/nom]in layman's terms, a quantum computer can effectively compute 'traditional' bits and either on (1), off(0), or both. this is called a qubit. It basically can 'predict' the oucome of a given logical gate given a said instruction. Traditional computers are staggeringly inefficient compared to quantum computers. imagine a 64 bit computer (2^62), or a qubit quantum computer (3^64) possibilities given a relatively small set of instructions. The more computational intensive the instruction the exponentially more time a traditional computer would take to complete the computation. Imagine a state where a computer has 1000 qubits of instruction to perform. A traditional computer would require 1000 1's and 1000 0's whereas a quantum computer could calculate all 2^1000 states simultaneously in one cycle. and the more qubits for a computation the the larger the gap in computation time.[/citation]
so, from what you are saying, instead of processing 1000 things, it can guess every state in that 1000 thing in 1 tick where a normal processor would take 1000

somehow that doesn't sound incredibly efficient for most tasks i can think of, however code cracking and such, this processor would be a godsend.

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]IndignantSkeptic[/nom]No matter how many explanations of quantum computing I read, I still cannot understand WTF they are, but maybe that's intentional.[/citation]

knowing exactly what they are isnt an issue right now as knowing how to even properly utilize them isnt even well known, at least i beleive, i cant really find anything about even prototypes that put it into simple terms.

thats why im asking a more reasonable, what they mean to the consumer, what will it do for me.

ronch79

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2010
Just $100M? Isn't that a little bit on the cheap side considering this is one major, major project? I also read somewhere that the Obama administration and the DOE is putting out $120 for universities to come up with next-generation batteries with 5x the capacity within a 5 year period. Everyone's being totally cheap these days funding these big projects that not even the big companies in their respective fields have had success doing.

Matt C

Honorable
Jul 31, 2012
[citation][nom]ronch79[/nom]Just $100M? Isn't that a little bit on the cheap side considering this is one major, major project? I also read somewhere that the Obama administration and the DOE is putting out $120 for universities to come up with next-generation batteries with 5x the capacity within a 5 year period. Everyone's being totally cheap these days funding these big projects that not even the big companies in their respective fields have had success doing.[/citation]

This is $100 Million for creating a business from the current research. Someone thinks they can start the quantum revolution, we'll see how it goes.

The Insitute for Quantum Computing just moved into a $160 Million building. They've received $100 Million from the Canadian and Ontario governments. Personal donations of $200 Million from Mike Lazaridis (co-founder of RIM)

There's some minor commercialization but it's still mainly within the scientific research realm. Better tools to further the research IN the quantum world.

http://iqc.uwaterloo.ca/faculty-research

Almost $500 Million spent in one single insitute and they're still a little ways away form technology based on their research let alone a full blown quantum computer for high level computation at a performance level surpassing supercomputers.

executor2

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2010
@alidan

Example: it takes years with the best supercomputers to crack a 32 character long password (using brute force aka guessing the password starting from 00...0 down to zz..z ), 1 quantum computer would take 1 second.

1 More processing power
2 Better graphic cards
3 Faster world wide networks
4 More storage
5 Better research tools for investigating medical , physical , chemical phenomenal

When the Laser was first discovered , scientist said it will never be used in anything applicable . Now we use lasers for everything . Same thing here , but we know it will revolutionize all things !

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]executor2[/nom]@alidanExample: it takes years with the best supercomputers to crack a 32 character long password (using brute force aka guessing the password starting from 00...0 down to zz..z ), 1 quantum computer would take 1 second.1 More processing power 2 Better graphic cards3 Faster world wide networks4 More storage5 Better research tools for investigating medical , physical , chemical phenomenalWhen the Laser was first discovered , scientist said it will never be used in anything applicable . Now we use lasers for everything . Same thing here , but we know it will revolutionize all things ![/citation]

because of what they said, the quantum computer can guess all the combinations at once, thats why i said it would be a code crackers wet dream.

but i fail to see how guessing everything at once would help standard things that don't need to be guessed.

i have no doubt that quantum computers will be the stepping stone from the what, 6 or 7nm to smaller sizes because the way things are currently, we cant deal with i believe its called quantum tunneling at those levels.

its hard to explain the way i think they would work without having a firm grasp on how they work, and so far the simplest explanation is they guess everything, which when applied to a brute force crack, would work wonders.

Status
Not open for further replies.