100 percent disk usage Windows 10 anniversary HP Pavilion

caseym27

Commendable
Oct 4, 2016
My Laptop randomly spikes to 100 percent disk usage. I've noticed it mostly when I try to play games (can vary between World of Warcraft to League of Legends or Dark Souls). I tried superfetch, windows search, notifications, changing the virtual memory with your ram think in performance, used antivirus but nothing comes up, clean installed windows 10 twice. Went through microsoft support for like 10 days, they tried, but only temporarily fixed it. Thought it might be hardware so ran an hp diagnostic extensive test but everything came up passed.

Pic if needed: http://

marcusmadsen

Commendable
Oct 5, 2016
I recently dealt with a similar issue on ASUS Q302L laptops upgraded with 240GB SSD and 8GB of RAM. Problem surfaced after installing Windows 10 Anniversary version (1607). Disk continuously cycled to 100% every minute or so. Found while in diagnostic mode, issue did not occur. After disabling and slowly re-enabling all services that differ between diagnostic and normal mode, found the "Power" service was the culprit.

As an admin, disable service from gui or commandline: > sc config "Power" start= disabled
Then reboot.

I don't like this solution as power management is removed which is frequently needed with laptop configuration.

caseym27

Commendable
Oct 4, 2016

I'm not very tech savvy so what exactly does this do to power management? Something along lowering the battery life or something like that? Most of the time I have my laptop is plugged in so that wouldn't effect me too much but if it's something else I'd appreciate knowing before I try it.

marcusmadsen

Commendable
Oct 5, 2016

marcusmadsen

Commendable
Oct 5, 2016
Hi Casey, this will disable some functionality like when your computer sleeps, hybernates, ... So not a great fix but at least it lets you work. Save your work before you leave your computer. Since it is always plugged in, probably not a big issue for you.

Good luck

caseym27

Commendable
Oct 4, 2016

So I input [sc config "Power" start= disabled] word for word in an admin command prompt (no brackets) and rebooted my laptop. Everything seemed fine but then it happen again just while I was browsing the internet. Got any other ideas? Or did I possibly input it incorrectly or something