1000+ ping to random servers and Google related websites.

vegegegegegegito

Reputable
Feb 10, 2015
Hello there, was wondering if anyone has any ideas of what might be causing this issue. Pinging Google via command prompt gets a ping of 1000ms and some game servers are the same making them unplayable.

I've called my ISP to report it (as have many others in my area) and yet they're adamant there isn't a problem because the speed test shows fine dispite the issues. It's been the same ever since the power cut a week ago. Does anyone have any ideas? It's been over a week now and I feel like it would have been fixed by now if whoever is the cause of the issue knows about it.

If it helps, using a VPN fixes the issue with the ping when connected to the east London server or the Kent and Berkshire servers but it is unstable and lags every couple of seconds.

The problem would very well be outside your ISP network.

Run tracert to some of the sites and see if you can determine where the large increase in latency occurs. Only the first few hops are in your ISP control. When stuff like this happens it can be because of some network problem only the connectivity to one particlar ISP. If data to other servers uses a different set of ISP to get to the destination it may now have issues since it is not passing through the problem connection.

In most cases the ISP work to fix these issues, they monitor their networks so they likely know about the problem. I know years ago when under sea fiber failed they would move to satelite which increased the latency a lot but it was better than no service at all while they repaired the fiber

vegegegegegegito

Reputable
Feb 10, 2015
Ah I forgot to mention I did do that. First 2 are always good near 1ms, 3rd hop always fails, forth is normal, 5th always fails. 6th 7th and 8th are fine, 9 is usually the problem with 800+Ms. Looking at the IP address it belongs to Google. So does that mean I have to wait for them to fix it? Is there any way I can let them know there's an issue just in case they haven't noticed it yet?