101: How to Make a System Image Backup in Windows 8/8.1

Status
Not open for further replies.

rygaroo

Reputable
Mar 6, 2014
Is there any way to exclude certain files and/or folders from the backup image? Or do I need to buy fancier software for this type of feature? For example, I don't want to waste storage space backing up images that include all of my Steam games that I can easily re-download upon recovery.

bin1127

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2008
Just followed on how to do it but cancelled after seeing how large it is. I think i'll delete all my games and then try again. But it's great that a full image backup is default on windows now.

First, thanks for the video!

Second, the true test of success is in the ability to restore. Have you tried this? I know previous versions of Windows were hit or miss with regard to the restore functionality?

wazza_uk

Reputable
Jun 21, 2014
Thanks for the info, from what I can see it should be similar to Windows 7 and I have never had a problem restoring from those backups. I save an image probably once every 4-6 weeks and then backup documents daily to an external drive.

Someone asked about the restore, you boot from the recovery CD that you created and select restore from a system image. Some PCs have built in recovery on the hard disk (press F?? on boot, look it up for your PC) but that is no use if you lose the physical disk so the CD is worth creating.

Status
Not open for further replies.