[SOLVED] 10100f turbo boost wont't reach 4300Mhz

Celauron

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2013
Greetings. I've recently bought 10100f and asus motherboard b460f to last me before an upgrade next year. I am trying to squeeze a bit more performance out of the cpu since it can't be overclocked, and I've noticed that it never reaches specified 4300Mhz and clocks at 4090 with AIDA stress test and 4190 max (usually just for a brief moment on one core/thread). I have also tried a single thread stress tests in Cpu-z and furmark, and it also just clocked at 4090Mhz or 4180-4190Mhz for a brief second on one core.

Turbo boost is enabled in bios, tdp is set to 65w, high performance and 100% min/max power are selected at power options in the control panel. CPU temperature never goes past 51C.

It almost looks like motherboard is limiting the CPU power load, but I don't think it should? I realize that "up to 4300Mhz" doesn't mean "always 4300Mhz" but it doesn't reach it even briefly. Meanwhile, my previous 6700k would always clock at 4200Mhz turbo boost during loads.

Any advice on what else I can try?

Solution
That is only for a single core.
Realistically, you will hardly ever see the single core boost, thanks to the OS and other programs.
https://www.techpowerup.com/review/intel-core-i3-10100/20.html
4.3ghz (1 core)
4.2ghz (2 cores)
4.1ghz (3 cores)
4.1ghz (4 cores)

I've noticed that it never reaches specified 4300Mhz and clocks at 4090 with AIDA stress test and 4190 max (usually just for a brief moment on one core/thread). I have also tried a single thread stress tests in Cpu-z and furmark, and it also just clocked at 4090Mhz or 4180-4190Mhz for a brief second on one core.
Even if one of these applications uses a core, the OS will still operate the others... that's still more than 1 core active.

Meanwhile, my previous...

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Realistically, you will hardly ever see the single core boost, thanks to the OS and other programs.
4.3ghz (1 core)
4.2ghz (2 cores)
4.1ghz (3 cores)
4.1ghz (4 cores)

I've noticed that it never reaches specified 4300Mhz and clocks at 4090 with AIDA stress test and 4190 max (usually just for a brief moment on one core/thread). I have also tried a single thread stress tests in Cpu-z and furmark, and it also just clocked at 4090Mhz or 4180-4190Mhz for a brief second on one core.
Even if one of these applications uses a core, the OS will still operate the others... that's still more than 1 core active.

Meanwhile, my previous 6700k would always clock at 4200Mhz turbo boost during loads.
That was an overclock, either applied manually, from software, or from MCE/Enhanced Turbo, because the 6700K's turbo frequencies were:
4.2ghz (1 core)
4.0ghz (2 cores)
4.0ghz (3 cores)
4.0ghz (4 cores)

Reactions: Celauron
Solution

Celauron

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2013
4.3ghz (1 core)
4.2ghz (2 cores)
4.1ghz (3 cores)
4.1ghz (4 cores)

That was an overclock, either applied manually, from software, or from MCE/Enhanced Turbo, because the 6700K's turbo frequencies were:
4.2ghz (1 core)
4.0ghz (2 cores)
4.0ghz (3 cores)
4.0ghz (4 cores)

Could you clarify this for me a bit - the link you posted mentions raising BCLK to 102.9 MHz - it there any point in doing this?

Does all of this mean that I will never see 4.3MHz at all and there's no way to boost it up to this? Because at the moment AIDA never mentions any core going past 4190MHz ever or going past x42 multiplier.

I can't recall Enhanced Turbo in BIOS for 6700k but I never overclocked CPU manually or from software, I only know that it was running at 4200MHz every time there was a 100% load on CPU.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
The purpose of the link was to show the chart - the boost clocks based on how many cores/threads were active.
I don't advise tinkering with the base clock, because it touches everything at once(cpu frequency, ram frequency, cache/ring frequency). Doesn't take much at all for instability to occur.

If you want to see 4.3ghz, go into bios, and disable all but 1 core...

Enhanced Turbo was just one of multiple terms for All Core Enhancement. The vendors didn't all agree on one term.
Asus had MCE - Multi Core Enhancement. Msi had Enhanced Turbo.
On some motherboards this feature was enabled by default.

Then there's software, like Msi's Dragon Center, which was notorious for applying an 'optimized performance boost' without even asking the user. It'd do it just for having the application installed...
Asus had AI Suite, but I don't remember it behaving like that - well, it broke on me often, so I didn't use it for long anyways.

Celauron

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2013
Enhanced Turbo was just one of multiple terms for All Core Enhancement. The vendors didn't all agree on one term.
Asus had MCE - Multi Core Enhancement. Msi had Enhanced Turbo.

I guess the last question would be - since I have asus b460f now and it says it supports turbo 2.0 and turbo max 3.0, also everything is switched on in BIOS, shouldn't I see 4300MHz on all cores as well?

It's just kinda disappointing that my CPU turns out to be just ever so slightly worse than 6700K which I had to replace because it broke.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
No. Intel's advertised turbos have been a gimmick for a long time.
If you lookup specs for a number of their cpus, don't you find it odd that you only see rated clocks are only relative to single core turbo boost?

There's more to it than just core frequency. Another factor, for example, is IPC, or Instructions Per Clock, which you aren't going to be able to tell from frequencies alone.

shouldn't I see 4300MHz on all cores
The 10100F does not support running at full turbo speed when all cores are active. You need a K series CPU for all core turbo to work.

up to 4300Mhz
Most monitoring software does not accurately report Intel turbo boost when a multi core CPU is lightly loaded. Try running ThrottleStop.

https://www.techpowerup.com/download/techpowerup-throttlestop/

Turn off all of your other monitoring apps. Some of these apps are not very efficient so they can prevent Intel CPUs from reaching the maximum turbo speed. Use the ThrottleStop TS Bench test and set this to run a 1 Thread test. Take a screenshot while the CPU is loaded. If you do not have too many background tasks running, you should be able to get close to the maximum multiplier. There are always going to be Windows background tasks that will need to wake up additional cores. That is why you will never see 4.30 GHz for any length of time.

Here is an example of a 10850K. At default settings, it can use the 52 multiplier when 1 or 2 cores are active. During the TS Bench test, the multiplier hits a maximum of 51.95 which means it must be using the 52 multiplier 95% of the time. No other monitoring software is capable of accurately monitoring Intel turbo boost the way ThrottleStop does. It uses high performance monitoring timers and closely follows the Intel recommended monitoring method.

UojKkMl.png

Many enthusiasts recommend disabling the C states without realizing that the non K CPUs need to have at least core C3 enabled. This is necessary so the CPU can reach the maximum turbo boost speed. ThrottleStop can also show you what C states your CPU is using when your computer is idle.

An idle computer should have the individual cores spending lots of time in the core C7 state. If you have lots of stuff running in the background, the CPU will not be able to use the highest turbo multiplier.

jHPjD7f.png

4.3 GHz is the max boost on 1 core; you'd likely rarely see that unless tinkering on the desktop, surfing, etc...

4000-4100 MHz would be much more likely, but, even then, likely for only 60-90 seconds.

(As the 10100F is a 65W TDP CPU, you'd likely see closer the mainboard downclock the CPU to 3.6 GHz sustained unless both power and boost duration limits are removed, with in the BIOS or via Intel's XTU. (you can try specifying the highest 43X multiplier for 4 core boost and see if that works, but, no certainties, and, power limits might still need to be removed)

Celauron

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2013
The 10100F does not support running at full turbo speed when all cores are active. You need a K series CPU for all core turbo to work.

Most monitoring software does not accurately report Intel turbo boost when a multi core CPU is lightly loaded. Try running ThrottleStop.

Turn off all of your other monitoring apps. Some of these apps are not very efficient so they can prevent Intel CPUs from reaching the maximum turbo speed. Use the ThrottleStop TS Bench test and set this to run a 1 Thread test. Take a screenshot while the CPU is loaded. If you do not have too many background tasks running, you should be able to get close to the maximum multiplier. There are always going to be Windows background tasks that will need to wake up additional cores. That is why you will never see 4.30 GHz for any length of time.

Here is an example of a 10850K. At default settings, it can use the 52 multiplier when 1 or 2 cores are active. During the TS Bench test, the multiplier hits a maximum of 51.95 which means it must be using the 52 multiplier 95% of the time. No other monitoring software is capable of accurately monitoring Intel turbo boost the way ThrottleStop does. It uses high performance monitoring timers and closely follows the Intel recommended monitoring method.

Many enthusiasts recommend disabling the C states without realizing that the non K CPUs need to have at least core C3 enabled. This is necessary so the CPU can reach the maximum turbo boost speed. ThrottleStop can also show you what C states your CPU is using when your computer is idle.

An idle computer should have the individual cores spending lots of time in the core C7 state. If you have lots of stuff running in the background, the CPU will not be able to use the highest turbo multiplier.

I've downloaded ThrottleStop and it also only goes up to x41 multiplier, also I can't tick the multiplier button either. Individual cores indeed mostly load C7 state while idle at about 50%. I guess I just give up and assume that this CPU simply doesn't work past 4100MHz unless I disable all other cores. I suppose its only 100MHz less than 6700K was, so it's not that bad.

4.3 GHz is the max boost on 1 core; you'd likely rarely see that unless tinkering on the desktop, surfing, etc...

4000-4100 MHz would be much more likely, but, even then, likely for only 60-90 seconds.

(As the 10100F is a 65W TDP CPU, you'd likely see closer the mainboard downclock the CPU to 3.6 GHz sustained unless both power and boost duration limits are removed, with in the BIOS or via Intel's XTU. (you can try specifying the highest 43X multiplier for 4 core boost and see if that works, but, no certainties, and, power limits might still need to be removed)

I believe that all overclock settings are locked in BIOS since this is a non K CPU. Everything is basically set to AUTO and can't be changed :/ Otherwise I would've set multiplier to x43. According to a link few posts above - CPU never uses 65W or 90W either way. Right now it's always running at 4090MHz under load, and above or around 3600MHz while idling. Rarely it goes to 4190MHz for a few seconds.

I just checked Intel XTU - everything is basically locked and it says that this CPU can't be overclocked. It also mentions that x43 multiplier is indeed only available for 1 core, and x42 multiplier is available for 2-3 cores. I could increase power or time the boost is active, but I don't think it would make any difference. So yeah... mystery solved I guess. Thanks anyway.

AIDA stress test and
a single thread stress tests in Cpu-z and furmark, and it also just clocked at 4090Mhz or 4180-4190Mhz for a brief second on one core.
Turbo has to work with the available TDP, if you use apps that are designed to push the TDP as far as possible you will get the lowest turbos.
Try running a single core game or something lighter than benchmarking/stress tests and you will see it boost higher even with all cores active (not deactivated) .

I can't tick the multiplier button either
When Intel Speed Shift Technology (SST) is enabled, the Set Multiplier feature is no longer available. This feature is only for older CPUs or for computers that are not using Speed Shift. The Speed Shift Max value in the TPL window has replaced the Set Multiplier feature.

Individual cores indeed mostly load C7 state while idle at about 50%.
That is why your computer is not able to use the highest turbo multipliers. There is nothing wrong with your CPU. You have too much stuff running in the background. My screenshot shows the cores spending 99% of their time idle in C7. Windows 10 is very efficient if it is setup properly. Open the Task Manager, go to the Details tab and find out what is running on your computer. If you learn how to reduce background activity, your computer will run faster.