1050 ti vs 1060 3GB Low Res Gaming.

TrollHunter

Honorable
Aug 16, 2013
Which one should i go ?

i play at 1440 x 900 @ 60hz or maybe at 1600 x 900 @ 60hz (its a triple monitor setup for work and gaming).

my system specs -

• 13 2120
    Brand new good 450w 80+ Bronze PSU
    12 GB Ram ( 4 + 8 GB)
    525 GB SSD

games i play would be -

• Skyrim legendary edition (Really Heavily modded)
    Divinity 2
    Divinity Dragon Commander
    Batman (City, Origins, Asylum)
    Starcraft 2
    The Amazing Spiderman (1, 2)
    The Sims 4
    Dragon age (Origins, 2, inquisition)
    Killing Floor
    Rage
    Spacehulk Deathwing
    Planetside 2
    Dreadnought
    warframe
    Bioshock Infinite
    Metro Redux
    Crysis 3
    Thief
    Shadow Of Mordor
    The Witcher 3

As you can see, nothing really new other than 1 or 2 games, and i also do not plan on buying any new games until i am done with the ones i already have, and personally i really sink a lot of hrs into skyrim. My previous card is an r7 250 1GB DDR5, so u can imagine i really have not played skyrim with any of the Graphical mods until now. I think i have waited enough already to play a 6 year old game with cool hi res graphical mods on, which i always wanted and i have finally decided to upgrade my rig slowly starting with the GPU, will upgrade the rest when the coffee lake hits the stores.

However I am a little worried about the 1060's 3GB VRAM, mostly cause of the heavily modded games i play(hint hint skyrim) and games like Shadow Of Mordor, Witcher 3.

i know that 1060 absolutely demolishes 1050 ti, but yea i am really worried about that 3 GB VRam not being sufficient.

i wish i could go for the 1060 6GB. but that is not an option cause it costs an additional $100 over the 3GB variant and the RX 480/580 are grossly overpriced.

i wont be changing my monitors so, that'll be the res i'll be playing at (either 1440 x 900 @ 60hz or 1600 x 900 @ 60hz) and i like to play at max settings (No AA though). i'll be happy as long as i can get anything above 30 FPS. 30 is the bare min i consider. so Strict 60 FPS is not mandatory, although it'll be nice to have that.

PS. it would probably take 3 years for me to upgrade the GPU again, so i want this thing to last at least until then.

Solution

If this is your PSU, it has a pretty good +12V rail rated for 408W. So it should work for the GTX 1060 if you aren't planning on OC'ing it. Nvidia used to recommend 450W as minimum, but that allowed for some poorer quality PSUs.

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
Your 450W PSU may be your limiting factor depending on its make and model. Not all PSUs are created equal. Having said that, the GTX 1050 Ti would be the better choice if you like to play at high settings. At your monitors' rez, it should be quite nice. Definitely a major step up from the R7-250.

It really depends on your PSU make/model whether you can run the GTX 1060 3GB.

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador

If this is your PSU, it has a pretty good +12V rail rated for 408W. So it should work for the GTX 1060 if you aren't planning on OC'ing it. Nvidia used to recommend 450W as minimum, but that allowed for some poorer quality PSUs.

Solution