[SOLVED] 1060 6gb frequency drop while gaming

b2k-justbetter

Reputable
May 16, 2020
hello guys, so here is my problem: when i play games I get huge drop frame to less than 11fps for like 5-10 sec every 40 sec, cpu usage doesn't drop it keep on 65% while gpu usage reach 100% and it's frequency drops from 1700MHz to 300MHz which cause the drop, my spec are asus laptop gl704gm i7 8750h and 1060 6gb
ps: i m sure i have the last nvidia driver, when i play i only use the game no app in background...

Solution
Doing a clean install of Windows is similar to the way the system was when you first bought it but even cleaner as it won't come with the pre-installed software by Asus. It's Windows but just with the basic software to use it. You'd want to update the Nvidia drivers post Windows installation. And no you won't have to buy another key.
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10startfresh

During installation when it asks for a key select "I don’t have a product key”. Windows will automatically activate once it’s installed since your using the same hardware.

Note that this is just a last resort option to try. If you want you can wait and see if...

b2k-justbetter

Reputable
May 16, 2020
Did this just start happening or has it been like this for awhile? Any recent software changes?
my laptop got ruined after windows update whoch made my laptop too slow( lagging when moving mouse) so i reset my laptop to factory windows,i actually had another problem, and i find that i have older bios version so i update it and now i have this problem

WildCard999

Titan
Hmm, maybe you need to do a clean install of Windows & drivers. While you'd need to reinstall your games and such a clean install could fix your issue and possibly increase performance. I did that on my MSI G63 and saw close to a 10 FPS increase as MSI's Dragon Software (factory) was causing various issues (lower FPS/odd fan speed/etc).

b2k-justbetter

Reputable
May 16, 2020
Hmm, maybe you need to do a clean install of Windows & drivers. While you'd need to reinstall your games and such a clean install could fix your issue and possibly increase performance. I did that on my MSI G63 and saw close to a 10 FPS increase as MSI's Dragon Software (factory) was causing various issues (lower FPS/odd fan speed/etc).
what is clean install of windows, because when i reset it to factory windows it reinstalled like the first time i bought the laptop,so you mean should i buy another version of windows and install it ? or what exactly

WildCard999

Titan
Doing a clean install of Windows is similar to the way the system was when you first bought it but even cleaner as it won't come with the pre-installed software by Asus. It's Windows but just with the basic software to use it. You'd want to update the Nvidia drivers post Windows installation. And no you won't have to buy another key.
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10startfresh

During installation when it asks for a key select "I don’t have a product key”. Windows will automatically activate once it’s installed since your using the same hardware.

Note that this is just a last resort option to try. If you want you can wait and see if any other users have some advice to try before doing this.

Solution