[SOLVED] 1060 failing or what is the issue?

grokodillus

Prominent
Aug 1, 2019
so i recently got an issue with it, where it's fps suddenly dropped from 75-90fps to constant 55-60fps(some HD game with 1440p ultra settings) and i have no idea what could be the issue with it...
i downloaded some afterburner version from that source code zip file and that showed that the card runs on 1900mhz, while the max should be only 1500mhz?
so what could be the problem with it and is there even any fix for it...
temps have been always 65-67 degrees and it was exactly the same before the issue started too, and 65 degrees is probably only then, if i drop the clock down for -400mhz in the afterburner app... but the fps is still 55-60 then...

now i'm testing with it's original old pc(some old i7 cpu + 9gb of ram) where it was working fine and that actually gives 92-50 fps again, so it seems like sometimes it runs at normal 1500mhz, but then something boosts it to 1900mhz and then the fps drops again...
(i haven't even installed the afterburner app on the old pc yet and am just testing it with hwinfo and other stuff...)

userbenchmark app also said that the gpu is performing like 54% from its usual power somehow...
and the new pc was ryzen 3900x with 32gb skill memory, panther ssd etc... (same 650w psu on both pc-s)

PS: when was the mining nerf or smth added to nvidia drivers and would that even affect gaming too somehow?

Last edited:
Solution
well, isn't that just great... the main issue is now probably solved with new thermal paste, but could it have done something bad to some components now or did the thermal throttling actually save it or smth?

the new mx4 thermal paste now keeps it at 56-58 degrees max, so if someone needs a reference point to compare the specs, then this should be like as good and fresh as it gets...
dont have a clue why it still runs at 1949mhz tho...

grokodillus

Prominent
Aug 1, 2019
so now i managed to spot the exact moment where the fps was 90 again and gpu clock exactly 1544mhz like it should be?
and when the fps dropped down, the clock was 1949mhz again... (and video clock probably 1392 vs 1746,5), and memory clock is probably 2003,4mhz in both cases somehow...

but why does it even drop to 1544mhz with the old pc in some cases and only stays at 1949 in the new pc(under load)...

old pc bench:
https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/40118556

or does it have like a normal boost of 400Mhz, but the temp will get too high with it or smth? even afterburner shows somekind of red boost indicator, but that is only 1750mhz too, not 1949mhz like the issue with it...

PS: why does afterburner even say that memory clock is 4006, when it should be like 2000mhz?

Last edited:

grokodillus

Prominent
Aug 1, 2019
would it also be possible to re-flash the firmware with the same one or is there anything newer also now?
and i guess i should probably just try to replace the thermal paste on it, just in case it changed itself into plastic or smth? i took a look on the benchmark results now and most of them also have like 1940-2002mhz clock on them, so maybe it should be normal or smth, but something else gets in the way....
and it does not even have much dust on it at all, and i have even cleaned it like 3-4 times already... (just not the paste yet...)

grokodillus

Prominent
Aug 1, 2019
well, isn't that just great... the main issue is now probably solved with new thermal paste, but could it have done something bad to some components now or did the thermal throttling actually save it or smth?

the new mx4 thermal paste now keeps it at 56-58 degrees max, so if someone needs a reference point to compare the specs, then this should be like as good and fresh as it gets...
dont have a clue why it still runs at 1949mhz tho...

Last edited:
Solution