[SOLVED] 10600k OC insane temps

Jul 19, 2021
So today was the first time I've ever tried CPU overclocking. On my 10600k I did a 5000 mhz clock, ring ratio of 4000 mhz, avx offset -2, and core voltage of 1.275. Upon doing prime95 small FFT I reached 100c in under a minute. My CPU cooler is an NH-U12S and the fan was running at 100%. I even did prime95 again with an open case and it still reached 100c in less than a minute. I don't think a 1.275 core voltage merits that high of temps, but since I've never OC'd my CPU before I was wondering if I did something wrong.

Any help would be much appreciated, thanks!

Solution
core voltage of 1.275
That should be adaptive with offset, otherwise, it will be heating the room even when idling...

In adaptive mode, there is a table of Frequency-Voltage pairings which is used to dynamically lower voltage (and power draw which, in turn, translated into heat).
If you set it to static, you are wasting power and the only way this power goes is to fight your AC.

To reduce temperatures without upgrading your cooling, you would want to find the lowest voltage you could use for a given frequency and still be stable.
In dynamic mode, it would be a negative offset from the dynamic chart. If the lowest voltage is still producing too much heat, you would have to lower the frequency further, which will allow you to...
core voltage of 1.275
That should be adaptive with offset, otherwise, it will be heating the room even when idling...

In adaptive mode, there is a table of Frequency-Voltage pairings which is used to dynamically lower voltage (and power draw which, in turn, translated into heat).
If you set it to static, you are wasting power and the only way this power goes is to fight your AC.

To reduce temperatures without upgrading your cooling, you would want to find the lowest voltage you could use for a given frequency and still be stable.
In dynamic mode, it would be a negative offset from the dynamic chart. If the lowest voltage is still producing too much heat, you would have to lower the frequency further, which will allow you to use an even lower voltage and subsequently bring the heat down even more.
5KoOQjw.png

There is another tactic - throttle by power limit, where your limit is your cooling budget translated into watts, you set those values into the power limit fields and test, but it is only effective as a supplement to the above.

P.S. for the testing set your cooling chart to a constant comfortable speed and revert to a dynamic curve once done. Also, the test you are running is probably using AVX and the effective clock with your setting is 4.8

Reactions: prosperouspi404
Solution
Jul 19, 2021
Thanks for the suggestion of putting it in adaptive mode! I just decreased voltage to 1.26v and did the test again. You're correct that it was running at 4800mhz. It's still throttling a ton right now though. I just feel like the NH-U12S should be good enough (especially at 100% fan speed) to keep the cpu under 100c, considering 1.26v isn't a crazy overclock on the 10600k.