[SOLVED] 10600k overclock

Jun 10, 2020
tried overclocking my new 10600k today and this is my result:
cooler: corsair h100x 240 liquid aio
mb: gigabyte vision g
ram: vengeance 16gb 3600 cl18 - xmp enabled running at full speed
antec hcg gold 850w
so:
multiplier set to 50 and voltage to auto at around 1.41 - unstable, as soon and i fire up wd2 i get a bsod
multiplier set to 50 and voltage to manual - 1.36 still unstable, crashes on wd2 launch
multiplier set to 49 and voltage to auto around 1.4 or 1.39 i dont really remember - still unstable
now the multiplier is at 45 with voltage set to auto - just so i could get a basic stable overclock. system is now stable.
cpu is not thermal throttling or something and the psu is brand new, didnt have any problems with it in my old 3550 build, and i was running a 4ghz overclock

Solution
Yes I get it...I have the MSI RTX 2080 Gaming X Trio and in certain games the GPU backplate gets very hot but I have very good airflow.

Personally I would leave the AIO in the top of the case but make sure you have enough fresh air coming in from the front. Having an AIO in the front is good for the CPU but restricts air in the case and tends to drive up GPU temps....Sadly the 690 II has only one fan in the front and a lot of restrictions with the drive cages.

If you can, get a high airflow case like the Fractal Design Meshify or the excellent Lian Li Lancool II Mesh great price!!!
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/lian...-usb3.1-type-c-cable-ca-77y-ll-bu-001-ll.html
or even the...
Okay this is confusing as I have a similar setup. First of all, at stock what temps are you hitting in a Cinebench R20 Run?

Then go back into the BIOS and load up your optimised defaults. Reboot. Then restart and go into the BIOS.

Change the following with everything else leave at auto.

CPU Base Clock - 100.00
CPU Clock Ratio - 50
Enhanced Multi- Core - Disabled
XMP - Profile 1
VTd - Disabled
vCore Loadline at High

vcore - Fixed at 1.300v

Save and reboot.

If you get into Windows, run HardwareInfo latest version and let me know what you vcore is reading and especially VROUT

Run Cinebench R20, if stable let me know what temps are at...

Jun 10, 2020
Okay this is confusing as I have a similar setup. First of all, at stock what temps are you hitting in a Cinebench R20 Run?

Then go back into the BIOS and load up your optimised defaults. Reboot. Then restart and go into the BIOS.

CPU Base Clock - 100.00
CPU Clock Ratio - 50
XMP - Profile 1
VTd - Disabled
vCore Loadline at High

vcore - Fixed at 1.300v

Save and reboot.

If you get into Windows, run HardwareInfo latest version and let me know what you vcore is reading and especially VROUT

tried 50 mult and fired up wd2
crashed the sec i launched the game... so c20 will prob also crash but ill try
maybe its something to do with the motherboards bios or something?
i didnt install anything except the lan driver so maybe its because of that?

yep make sure you have installed all the motherboard drives and is this a fresh Windows 10 install? Always better to have a fresh install on new hardware...If there is a new BIOS update that as well...Also what are your temps at normal? so stock and run C20 to see what temps max out to rule out a bad AIO install...

You should be able to do 5GHz at 1.3v or a tiny bit more...depending on how good you silicone is...

My 10700K will do 5.1GHz at 1.3v...I have a feeling that it is just something to do with your setup...

tried 50 mult and fired up wd2
crashed the sec i launched the game... so c20 will prob also crash but ill try
maybe its something to do with the motherboards bios or something?
i didnt install anything except the lan driver so maybe its because of that?

Jun 10, 2020
yep make sure you have installed all the motherboard drives and is this a fresh Windows 10 install? Always better to have a fresh install on new hardware...If there is a new BIOS update that as well...

You should be able to do 5GHz at 1.3v or a tiny bit more...depending on how good you silicone is...
I installed windows exactly a month ago when i upgraded my gtx 650
Tried 5ghz with 1.3
Crashed
On auto volt 49 mult i got a 1.4 volt

Only ask because you say 'new' 10600K. So if you installed Windows 10 a month ago and then got your new 10600K/Z490 Motherboard etc after the Windows install, then I would re-install windows 10 again otherwise this will cause issues....

Okay I now understand and this is probably why you are getting all these issues. When you install a new CPU and motherboard you should re-install Windows otherwise you will have your old drivers for the previouse motherboard and CPU and other hardware/software causing massive issues.

Do a fresh Windows 10 Pro install latest version 2004 (download to USB and you licence should still work) install....Then install all the new motherboard drivers, then GPU drivers etc...

No
A month ago i upgraded my old gtx 650 to a new card but the cpu was still my old i5 3550
Today i upgraded the 3550 to a 10600k

Reactions: RodroX
Jun 10, 2020
Okay I now understand and this is probably why you are getting all these issues. When you install a new CPU and motherboard you should re-install Windows otherwise you will have your old drivers for the previouse motherboard and CPU and other hardware/software causing massive issues.

Do a fresh Windows 10 Pro install latest version 2004 (download to USB and you licence should still work) install....Then install all the new motherboard drivers, then GPU drivers etc...
Ok ill try it
Yes i mean wd2
I just wanted to test a game before getting to do real overclocking test and it was the first game that came up to my mind lol idk why ;)

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
tried overclocking my new 10600k today and this is my result:
cooler: corsair h100x 240 liquid aio
mb: gigabyte vision g
ram: vengeance 16gb 3600 cl18 - xmp enabled running at full speed
antec hcg gold 850w
so:
multiplier set to 50 and voltage to auto at around 1.41 - unstable, as soon and i fire up wd2 i get a bsod
multiplier set to 50 and voltage to manual - 1.36 still unstable, crashes on wd2 launch
multiplier set to 49 and voltage to auto around 1.4 or 1.39 i dont really remember - still unstable
now the multiplier is at 45 with voltage set to auto - just so i could get a basic stable overclock. system is now stable.
cpu is not thermal throttling or something and the psu is brand new, didnt have any problems with it in my old 3550 build, and i was running a 4ghz overclock
What motherboard are you using?

Jun 10, 2020

CPU Base Clock - 100.00
CPU Clock Ratio - 50
XMP - Profile 1
VTd - Disabled
vCore Loadline at High

vcore - Fixed at 1.300v

Save and reboot.

reinstalled windows and everything
i did 3 c20 runs now and here are the results:
  1. 3378 Points - 74c - stock - auto
  2. 3673 Points - 80c - 47 Multiplier - auto
  3. 3812 Points - 88c - 49 Multiplier - 1.32 Voltage
88c is hella toasty but i wont be getting as near as 88c while gaming, its just to test stability and we all know that comet lake in general actually runs hot when overclocked...
didnt touch blck so its at 100mhz stock
xmp was not enabled - ive set the freq to 3200mhz but didnt touch the timing
thats right after a fresh windows 10 installation

do you have any advises that i can use to maybe get a stable 5ghz clock?

Reactions: vMax
Jun 10, 2020

CPU Base Clock - 100.00
CPU Clock Ratio - 50
XMP - Profile 1
VTd - Disabled
vCore Loadline at High

vcore - Fixed at 1.300v

Save and reboot.

Just did that
But i left the llc on auto
Cant get into windows...
It blue screens right after the gigabyte logo
But when the voltage is on auto i do get to windows

Okay well that is a lot better. 88C for your cooler is about right. I have a Arctic Liquid FreezerII 360mm AIO and at 5.1GHz all core at 1.295v I just hit the low 80's so you are in the right ball park for the 240mm AIO you have.

I would re try at 5GHz with a 1.320v with an LLC at Turbo and retest again...If that works, drop the vcore to 1.300v and retest leaving LLC at Turbo.

reinstalled windows and everything
i did 3 c20 runs now and here are the results:
  1. 3378 Points - 74c - stock - auto
  2. 3673 Points - 80c - 47 Multiplier - auto
  3. 3812 Points - 88c - 49 Multiplier - 1.32 Voltage
88c is hella toasty but i wont be getting as near as 88c while gaming, its just to test stability and we all know that comet lake in general actually runs hot when overclocked...
didnt touch blck so its at 100mhz stock
xmp was not enabled - ive set the freq to 3200mhz but didnt touch the timing
thats right after a fresh windows 10 installation

do you have any advises that i can use to maybe get a stable 5ghz clock?

Jun 10, 2020
Okay well that is a lot better. 88C for your cooler is about right. I have a Arctic Liquid FreezerII 360mm AIO and at 5.1GHz all core at 1.295v I just hit the low 80's so you are in the right ball park for the 240mm AIO you have.

I would re try at 5GHz with a 1.320v with an LLC at Turbo and retest again...If that works, drop the vcore to 1.300v and retest leaving LLC at Turbo.
i know its kinda late but here are my results after a week of testing:
after a week of testing i saw that the system was stable at 4.9ghz, 1.32 voltage and high llc.
it completed the c20 stress test BUT when if i was using hwinfo, cpu-z or intel xtu when running c20 it would crash and for me its not stable at all.
i dialed it back to 4.8ghz, 1.29 voltage and normal llc and it is now stable while stressing on c20 and the pc is actually usable even when stressing it on c20.
saw a video from optimum tech and in that video he shows some tips on how to overclock the cpu and ram.
he showed an option thats called 'long duration package power limit' and its the setting that caps the watts that the cpu is requesting.
do you think that by setting the limit to unlimited i could get better results? and maybe even get a stable 4.9ghz or even 5ghz clock?
the 10900k that he used was able to hold higher clocks with that setting changed to unlimited...
i would really like to hear your opinion since you are pretty much the only one that really helped me here :)

Good progress and I am sure you can get to 5GHz with a bit of work.

As to the long duration package power limit etc, absolutely max those out but once you overclock it comes down to cooling.

One final new point I found that might help a lot. I just saw Buildzoids new Video on Actually Hardcore Overclocking, part of Gamers Nexus and he has the Gigabyte Aourus Z490 Master which has the exact same BIOS setting as ours.

He tested the new Overide vCore setting which he said was a better adaptive vcore that actually works, so I tried it with my 5.1GHz overclock. I am testing right now and am fully stable at 1.3v in overide vcore but make sure you keep you LLC in 'Standard mode'....nothing higher when running Overide vcore. What is good is the the vcore will drop down when no load and ramps up when needed...

So go into BIOS, change multipler to 49, change to Overide Mode instead of Fixed Voltage and put in 1.300v with LLC to Standard, remove power limits, leave everything else in auto and see what happens....If stable, drop overide voltage to 1.290v and try again to see if you are stable etc. Then go for 5GHz at 1.3v and if not stable move a bit higher to 1.32v etc...

Key part on setting Overide voltage starts at 34 minutes and 24 seconds....

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zqvNkh4TVw8

Jun 10, 2020
Good progress and I am sure you can get to 5GHz with a bit of work.

As to the long duration package power limit etc, absolutely max those out but once you overclock it comes down to cooling.

One final new point I found that might help a lot. I just saw Buildzoids new Video on Actually Hardcore Overclocking, part of Gamers Nexus and he has the Gigabyte Aourus Z490 Master which has the exact same BIOS setting as ours.

He tested the new Overide vCore setting which he said was a better adaptive vcore that actually works, so I tried it with my 5.1GHz overclock. I am testing right now and am fully stable at 1.3v in overide vcore but make sure you keep you LLC in 'Standard mode'....nothing higher when running Overide vcore. What is good is the the vcore will drop down when no load and ramps up when needed...

So go into BIOS, change multipler to 49, change to Overide Mode instead of Fixed Voltage and put in 1.300v with LLC to Standard, remove power limits, leave everything else in auto and see what happens....If stable, drop overide voltage to 1.290v and try again to see if you are stable etc. Then go for 5GHz at 1.3v and if not stable move a bit higher to 1.32v etc...

Key part on setting Overide voltage starts at 34 minutes and 24 seconds....

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zqvNkh4TVw8
im a bit scared when it comes to temps
right now i have a cooler master 690 ii advanced case and the only place to mount a 240mm rad is at the top.
now, i mounted the rad at the top BUT the left fan doesnt sit very well because the cpupower cable wont let it fit nd the io of the mb is in the way so its off a bit.
the other concern is my RTX 2080.
its the aorus version with 3 beefy fans and when i play watch dogs 2, fortnite or even overwatch the 2080 gets to about 70c.
this temp is extremely good BUT the heat that comes out of the card is a lot of heat and that same hit gets sucked by the rad fans and that doesnt really help the temps.
ive put my hand over the top of the case and i can feel the hot air coming out of it. in games like csgo and minecraft the gpu doesnt go above 45c so the air thats coming through the rad is cool but underload its really hot.
i thought about getting a corsair 275r airflow.
i will mount the rad at the front and this case comes with 3 120mm fans so ill put both of them at the top for a good airflow.
2 intakes and 3 exhausts. if that wont work ill put on fan at the front with the h100x's rad
do you have a discord or something so we could chat there? its just easier to talk there :)

Yes I get it...I have the MSI RTX 2080 Gaming X Trio and in certain games the GPU backplate gets very hot but I have very good airflow.

Personally I would leave the AIO in the top of the case but make sure you have enough fresh air coming in from the front. Having an AIO in the front is good for the CPU but restricts air in the case and tends to drive up GPU temps....Sadly the 690 II has only one fan in the front and a lot of restrictions with the drive cages.

If you can, get a high airflow case like the Fractal Design Meshify or the excellent Lian Li Lancool II Mesh great price!!!
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/lian...-usb3.1-type-c-cable-ca-77y-ll-bu-001-ll.html
or even the Phanteks P500 Mesh
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/phan...pered-glass-drgb-glacier-white-ca-0ab-pt.html

Any of these cases would provide great cooling and the Lian Li is at a great price, sub $100..

Definitely try Overide Mode even at 4.8 with a low vcore...

Solution
Jun 10, 2020

or even the Phanteks P500 Mesh
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/phan...pered-glass-drgb-glacier-white-ca-0ab-pt.html

Any of these cases would provide great cooling and the Lian Li is at a great price, sub $100..

Definitely try Overide Mode even at 4.8 with a low vcore...
non of these two are available in my local shot and in general, Lian Li cases are so expensive here.
i think ill just go with the corsair 275r airflow.
in my current case there is a single 140mm fan in the front and its kinda dying, plus, all of the air that its pulling is going to the drives since i have no other place of putting them where in the 275r airflow they are hidden and they are not messing with the airflow