[SOLVED] 10600K with MSI Z490 mobo restarts randomly while NOT gaming?

TorQueMoD

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2008
Hey all,
I built a system for my buddy with a 10600K, MSI Z490 mobo, 16GB ram, and his old 1080ti and Corsair 700w PSU. It's been a great gaming system, but for some strange reason, the system has rebooted randomly since we built it. Windows 10 is up to date, we've tried resetting the CMOS but it keeps rebooting, though oddly, never while gaming. My friend thought it was due to the fact that his PSU doesn't have the extra 4 pin connector for the Mobo, but everywhere we read online it seems the consensus is that it's only for overclocking and not necessary.
Any ideas on how to troubleshoot?

Thanks!

Solution
I had to deal with that exact same issue for a whole month, tried several troubleshooting suggestions, and the only thing that actually stopped my system from freezing was to set Nvidia's power management mode to: "maximum performance". Give it a try and see if it helps. I still don't understand exactly why this happens, but several people have reported this exact same issue on the Nvidia forums and some have fixed it by disabling c-states within the BIOS options, some have fixed it by swapping PSUs that can't handle sleep states well and many have fixed it by doing what I did.

What i did notice when I was doing simple tasks with no games running in the background, is that my GPU's clock would sink like a rock and was subsequently...
Jun 12, 2021
I had to deal with that exact same issue for a whole month, tried several troubleshooting suggestions, and the only thing that actually stopped my system from freezing was to set Nvidia's power management mode to: "maximum performance". Give it a try and see if it helps. I still don't understand exactly why this happens, but several people have reported this exact same issue on the Nvidia forums and some have fixed it by disabling c-states within the BIOS options, some have fixed it by swapping PSUs that can't handle sleep states well and many have fixed it by doing what I did.

What i did notice when I was doing simple tasks with no games running in the background, is that my GPU's clock would sink like a rock and was subsequently unable to recover from that power state, prompting a crash/freeze

Note: You should post your whole specs when asking for troubleshooting advice.

Last edited:
Solution

TorQueMoD

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2008

What i did notice when I was doing simple tasks with no games running in the background, is that my GPU's clock would sink like a rock and was subsequently unable to recover from that power state, prompting a crash/freeze

Note: You should post your whole specs when asking for troubleshooting advice.

Interesting that you mentioned sleep states, because my buddy had some free time this evening so we actually did a bit of a deeper dive into what could be causing it, and I found a post where someone suggested disabling Windows 10 fast start/hybrid sleep. We're not sure of the results yet cause we just finished, but he's going to keep me posted and I'm hopeful that this actually solves the issue. If it doesn't then I'll definitely have him look into disabling c-state in the BIOS. Thanks for the tip!

TorQueMoD

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2008
So unfortunately disabling fast start and hybrid sleep through Windows didn't fix the problem. His system apparently crashed right after I got off the phone with him. We just tried disabling C-state so will update if this is the fix. I really hope it is, but time will tell I guess.

Is this a known issue with the 10K series cpus or something?
Oh, I also missed your mention of the PSU that can't handle sleep states. That was another thought, that maybe his CPU is the issue.
Apologies for not posting full specs, it's my friend's system and I was going from memory so I couldn't remember the full specs.

TorQueMoD

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2008
Have you tried changing Nvidia's power management mode to maximum performance yet?
We were gonna try that next since I'd like to know what actually fixes the issue so I figured we'd try one at a time, but it looks like disabling C-state fixed it. My friend said his system hasn't rebooted in 2 days. Thanks so much for the help xtro99. Super appreciated.