[SOLVED] 1070 genuinly viable?

RagedAPE

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2014
Wondering if the gpu is genuinely not a waste of money, since it has been out for a long time.

What do you think of the 1070 or the 2060 Mobile in terms of graphical power for modern games, do you think their power has had it and it's best to look to the future or do you think they can still do 60 Fps stable for 3 years to come.

Solution
If you are only considering this from a laptop perspective, go with the higher spec where you can. Even at that, the mobile version of a GPU is going to be a mere shadow of it's desktop namesake. There is simply no comparison.
I personally feel like if for a laptop only, you should consider the 2060 or better.

RagedAPE

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2014
its for my wife, she's on 980m atm and it lags in warzone sometimes but it might be because of the i7 4720hq since its 4 cores and 8 threads. I am looking for a cheap laptop that plays games like warzone and battlefield 2042 without lag, it can be low settings because she does not care about how graphics look, just the stable gameplay, So 2 main points are no gpu/cpu lag and cheapest price because they are already crazily overpriced arnt they.

Could always buy a pre-built from corsair, $2100 for a 3070 setup if they aren't sold out by now.
While I realize that's a good chunk of change, sometimes its better to wait until you can afford something that's gonna perform and last rather than cheaper alternatives at lower performance. Typically an all new parts system, even with a 2000 series would take you into 2022/23 comfortably. 3000 series is good for ray tracing but the amount of games that require a 3000 series amount to.. Cyberpunk haha

Reactions: RagedAPE

RagedAPE

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2014
Do corsair do prebuilt laptops? I doubt they would fit into a cheap budget. I know it's better to wait, but I do not want to wait so I am just enquiring to see if there is something that fits into a cheap £1000 budget that can play the latest games for 3 years on stable on lowest settings.

Do corsair do prebuilt laptops? I doubt they would fit into a cheap budget. I know it's better to wait, but I do not want to wait so I am just enquiring to see if there is something that fits into a cheap £1000 budget that can play the latest games for 3 years on stable on lowest settings.
No, they don't.

While I don't know what the price is like over there, in the US, cheaper gaming laptops include:
  • ASUS TUF
  • Dell G series
  • HP Omen
  • Lenovo Legion
  • Acer Nitro

Reactions: RagedAPE and Eximo

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
My recommendations for dedicated gamers is to go with Intel's H line of CPUs rather than U. Generally get a bigger heatsink. AMD chips are also quite decent of late.

If portability is still a concern, than yes, an 10th gen Intel with a 20 or 30 series GPU is the way to go. Aim for a 1080p 144hz screen unless productivity is a concern, then you can always run games at a lower resolution if you end up with a 4K display.

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
If you are only considering this from a laptop perspective, go with the higher spec where you can. Even at that, the mobile version of a GPU is going to be a mere shadow of it's desktop namesake. There is simply no comparison.
I personally feel like if for a laptop only, you should consider the 2060 or better.

Solution

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Weirdly the GTX1070 was the bigger GPU compared to the desktop version. Just ran at a lower clock rate (only slightly at that)

Desktop 1920 cores
Mobile (both versions) 2048 cores

Of course, without the power headroom and cooling to back it up, they will not stay boosted to the same clocks for very long.

anscarlett

Honorable
Jul 18, 2018
I cant use the same cpu, it has to be a whole new system, any recommendations for a laptop for the new games coming? Uk prices here.
I just bought a lenovo legion 15 for £1300. It has a ryzen7, 16gb ram, 512ssd and a 3070.
I would have got the legion 5 pro with a 3080 but it was out of stock.

There's always the option of an eGPU with thunderbolt 3 or 4

JWNoctis

Respectable
Jun 9, 2021
I just bought a lenovo legion 15 for £1300. It has a ryzen7, 16gb ram, 512ssd and a 3070.
I would have got the legion 5 pro with a 3080 but it was out of stock.

There's always the option of an eGPU with thunderbolt 3 or 4
FWIW a mobile 3080 felt too incremental over 3070 to me, given the price difference between the two.

Granted, other components are probably better as well.

Actually finding anything for an eGPU that worth the current price might be hard for now, as well - A mobile 3070 had roughly the same performance as a desktop 2070 Super.

Weirdly the GTX1070 was the bigger GPU compared to the desktop version. Just ran at a lower clock rate (only slightly at that)

Desktop 1920 cores
Mobile (both versions) 2048 cores

Of course, without the power headroom and cooling to back it up, they will not stay boosted to the same clocks for very long.

The same happened again with mobile RTX 3060/desktop non-Ti RTX 3060: 3840 vs. 3582, except that the latter had 12GB of VRAM and higher TDP. Probably intended as a poor man's ML lab or something.

TRENDING THREADS