Jul 10, 2018
Hello, I want to build a new pc and I need a graphics card to my i7 8700, should I get a 1070 or 1660ti? I have 16GB RAM, 550W PSU and so on. Thanks!

Please post the PSU model since it matters a lot. Both GPUs are at the same performance level and that's where the similarities end. The 1660ti is newer which means that has more modern features and it consumes less power which matters if you don't have an adequate PSU. It's also cheaper than the GTX 1070. On the other hand the 1070 has +2GB VRAM which my play a role in games that need more than 6GB VRAM in which case the 1070 will perform much better than the 1660ti. Additionally the GTX 1070 might perform better in higher resolutions than 1080p because of the larger VRAM amount.

So it's up to you to decide which one to get. If you can find both of them at the same price the GTX 1070 might be a better choice, otherwise if the price difference is over 70-90$ get the 1660ti. Good luck.

Jul 10, 2018
Please post the PSU model since it matters a lot. Both GPUs are at the same performance level and that's where the similarities end. The 1660ti is newer which means that has more modern features and it consumes less power which matters if you don't have an adequate PSU. It's also cheaper than the GTX 1070. On the other hand the 1070 has +2GB VRAM which my play a role in games that need more than 6GB VRAM in which case the 1070 will perform much better than the 1660ti. Additionally the GTX 1070 might perform better in higher resolutions than 1080p because of the larger VRAM amount.

So it's up to you to decide which one to get. If you can find both of them at the same price the GTX 1070 might be a better choice, otherwise if the price difference is over 70-90$ get the 1660ti. Good luck.
Thank you for your long answer, I have a 550W PSU. I mostly play games like Fortnite, Apex and CS:GO and I am streaming on Twitch/YT. I look towards the MSI GeForce GTX 1660ti, the price difference between the MSI 1660 and a Zotac 1070 is about 50$, is it worth getting it? Thank you!

Last edited:
The PSU model number is really important. If you have a cheap PSU the output number may not reflect the real PSU capacity, since a cheap 550W PSU may be in reality a 450W unit. Additionally the card you want to buy does need an 8-pin PCIe connector and your PSU must have one of those plugs available. Otherwise the new GPU won't work. So as you can see you have to check your PSU specifications.

Are you replacing an older graphics card? If the answer is yes, which model? This may help us determine whether your PSU can handle the 1660 or the 1070.

Now regardless of what PSU you have the 1660 seems to be the better choice. It's newer, cheaper, needs a smaller PSU and it may also help you with Twitch streaming since it has a newer Video encode/decode engine. If Twitch streaming is important to you then the 1660ti will perform better than the 1070.

Jul 10, 2018
The PSU model number is really important. If you have a cheap PSU the output number may not reflect the real PSU capacity, since a cheap 550W PSU may be in reality a 450W unit. Additionally the card you want to buy does need an 8-pin PCIe connector and your PSU must have one of those plugs available. Otherwise the new GPU won't work. So as you can see you have to check your PSU specifications.

Are you replacing an older graphics card? If the answer is yes, which model? This may help us determine whether your PSU can handle the 1660 or the 1070.

Now regardless of what PSU you have the 1660 seems to be the better choice. It's newer, cheaper, needs a smaller PSU and it may also help you with Twitch streaming since it has a newer Video encode/decode engine. If Twitch streaming is important to you then the 1660ti will perform better than the 1070.
Hi again, thank you for your good answers. Im building a new pc, so i don’t change any existing graphics card. The PSU is a Corsair TX550M. Thank you once again, I think i’ll go with the GTX 1660 :)