[SOLVED] 10700 boosting while idle

bcodemz

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2013
I'm trying to figure out why my 10700 is still boosting while idling (1-2% CPU).

I have a Asus Z490 TUF Gaming Wi-Fi Plus. I switched speed step on, speed shift on, C states all enabled. I even enabled the minimize power option on my motherboard. And put Windows on "balanced" power profile. The CPU will not go under 3.3GHz and will not use less than ~18W. My 3770 uses about 6W idling and goes into 1.x GHz range on high performance.

I did increase TDP to 224W on XTU

What else am I missing?

Thanks

Solution
Default your BIOS, then reselect the desired XMP profile...

If processor is set to auto, and no one has tinkered in minimum/maximum multipliers I can't for the processor not to idle down to 800 MHz at least occasionally...

I would make sure all WIndows updates are applied (the first several hours after installation could be busy downloading latest Win 10 updates ( which might artifically inflate activity/CPU clock speeds compared to true 'normal idle'), and, look at HWMonitor carefully, just to make sure you are correct about none of the cores going down to 800 MHz. Balanced power mode should see this regularly, barring something constantly running in the background..
Default your BIOS, then reselect the desired XMP profile...

If processor is set to auto, and no one has tinkered in minimum/maximum multipliers I can't for the processor not to idle down to 800 MHz at least occasionally...

I would make sure all WIndows updates are applied (the first several hours after installation could be busy downloading latest Win 10 updates ( which might artifically inflate activity/CPU clock speeds compared to true 'normal idle'), and, look at HWMonitor carefully, just to make sure you are correct about none of the cores going down to 800 MHz. Balanced power mode should see this regularly, barring something constantly running in the background..

Solution