1080 gaming on 1440p monitor

Vlad_14

Commendable
Sep 9, 2016
What if I buy a 1440p monitor and I want to play some games(forza horizon 3 , maybe TheDivision) on 1080p resolution ? Will the image get blurry because it is a 1440p monitor , or it will look just as any 1080p monitor ? I heard the image will get deteriorated , but i want to make sure

Solution
Blurry. Don't do that. LCDs should always be used in their native resolution.
Only buy a 1440p monitor when you can also afford the GPU to drive it.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Windows desktop looks blurry comparing to native but during a game it's not nearly as bad. FC4 & GTA5 i run in 1080p on XB270HU and don't get a headache.

Few other people ive seen here also run 1080p on their 1440p screens too, they'll say the same, during a game, its fine.

I disagree. If OP is asking this, it means that he cares about picture quality, so, no.

EDIT: to be honest, i'd rather game in 720p on a 1440p monitor and sit further away than game in 1080p.

bignastyid

Titan
It's kinda subjective. I have seen it and personally wouldn't run it, but have a friend who does it with some games games on his 1440p monitor and he doesn't mind it. I'd rather run 1440p and lower the settings if needed rather than running it at 1080p with higher settings.

What gpu are you using?

Vlad_14

Commendable
Sep 9, 2016
They will run , but probably at medium high . I think there are bigger graphical differences when comparing medium settings to high or very high Imo . I think ill just buy a 1080p 144hz monitor . Any suggestions in the 200$ range or 250$ ? I've seen one with 1 ms , tn pannel , 144hz but only thing i dont lkike its the fact that it is 24 inch , i would've liked something a little bigger

ancalimon

Distinguished
Sep 27, 2009
I have a 1440p gsync monitor and a GTX1070. Most of the games run perfectly ok in 1440p resolution but there are at least two games I'm playing currently that run below 60fps (around 40) when I use txaa antialiasing. Assassins Creed Unity and Syndicate. I like the effect txaa gives me so I am running these games at 1080p resolution with txaa and that gives me over 50fps usually 60fps. The screen is a bit blurred but it's definitely not as bad as 720p on a 1080p monitor. I mean there is a trade off but the gained txaa and performance in my opinion is worth it.

You've gotta be kidding me :))
You'd rather have antialiasing over resolution?
To each one's own, i guess, but take a look at http://reshade.me/#download and injectin SMAA.
There's a SMAA guide at the end of this page:http://www.tweakguides.com/Fallout4_1.html

ancalimon

Distinguished
Sep 27, 2009

I guess you are right. Just tried them again 1440p with no aa looks much better then 1080p with aa.

I wish there was a driver implemented way to turn on aa when stationary and turn it off when on the move.

Ofcourse 1440p is better. And teh higher resolution make alising much less of an issue.
Do try the AA method i linked. A bit of work but totally worth it as it looks good, doesnlt blurr the image like FXAA and it comes with almost no performace decrease compared to no AA. Literally like 1 or 2 FPS.
I've been using it for ywars and never felt the need for clasical AA.