1080 TI + CPU upgrade vs 2080?

ramialtamimi1602

Prominent
Oct 21, 2018
Hey experts,

I built my first PC and it's okay but as my more experienced cousin said "once you build your first pc, you'd want to upgrade it all the time" I've begun looking for upgrades.
My specs:
i5-8400 @ 2.8 GHZ (turbo to 4.2)
16 GB 3000 MHZ Corsair Vengeance Ram
ASUS Rampage VI Extreme Motherboard
ASUS 1060 6GB Expedition OC
Corsair TX650M Gold PSU
500 GB Samsung Evo 860 SSD
CPU is cooled from a Corsair H100i pro liquid cooler

I run most games with 180-200+ FPS (Fortnite, League of Legends, CSGO) but I just bought the new Call of Duty Black Ops 4 and my FPS is barely at 144 FPS at all times with medium-low settings.

Therefore I looked into two hardware components I would like, which is the i7 8700k and a 1080 TI 11GB.

Please keep in mind I had a certain budget when building the PC and knew I could upgrade later on. My impatience won the fight vs the waiting game.

My question is:
Should I get the 1080 TI and the i7-8700k or use all my money, that I've put to side for upgrading, on a 2080 and buy the CPU later on?

Solution
The 2080 barely, barely, has better performance than the 1080TI from what I've seen so far. Maaaybe, later on, with more card specific support and more mature drivers that will change to some degree but I've sensed a lot of doubts across the industry that is likely to happen to any significant degree this time as has happened in the past.

My suggestion would be to do the 1080 TI plus CPU. I think you'll see major gains from that combination over what you'd see from only upgrading to the 2080 AND even if you did that you'd likely still be somewhat hampered by the CPU when it comes to frame rates.
The 2080 barely, barely, has better performance than the 1080TI from what I've seen so far. Maaaybe, later on, with more card specific support and more mature drivers that will change to some degree but I've sensed a lot of doubts across the industry that is likely to happen to any significant degree this time as has happened in the past.

My suggestion would be to do the 1080 TI plus CPU. I think you'll see major gains from that combination over what you'd see from only upgrading to the 2080 AND even if you did that you'd likely still be somewhat hampered by the CPU when it comes to frame rates.

Solution
Your CPU is still good. Your GPU is mid level and should be upgraded. A 1080ti and 2080 are pretty close in performance, but 1080ti have increased in price again so I would get a 2080. After you get the 2080, see how your CPU works,with it but you should be fine playing at 1440p or 4k.

Only a $85 difference from a solid 1080ti to 2080.

ramialtamimi1602

Prominent
Oct 21, 2018

That is what I thought. I might just go for the 1080 + i7. I also think they might bring more to the table than a single GPU upgrade

The GPU upgrade will give you better graphical performance and deliver higher frame rates IF your CPU can handle it, with the current CPU if you are being CPU limited already with your 1060, it's going to be even worse with a big card.

Get the CPU and 1080 ti. The difference between the 1060 and 1080 ti is astronomical anyhow. Buy it new, not used. The used cards out there are very sketchy right now with most of them having been used for mining.

ramialtamimi1602

Prominent
Oct 21, 2018

I don't buy used. I'll grab em' both. Thanks for the help! :) Needed some conformation since I am new to custom built PCs and such