Question 1080 windforce oc 30% at idle is fine?

Feb 13, 2019
hello everyone, i was wondering if i keep my new gpu 1080 windforce at idle at 30% fans rpm is good for the life span of this fans or i should keep using the 0 db mode (higher idle temps)?. thanks in advance for your help, im just worried about my fans and gpu life span.

Feb 13, 2019
higher idle temps are not a problem, low spinning is not a problem.
I'd suggest you are more likely to have a problem with a fan failing to spin up from zero in the long term as friction and start up current increases, this will probably get worse quicker but having them stopped.
thank you all for helping me, you are right sir, its easier to change thermal paste than replacing a windforce fan setup, i will keep them off until 40-45 c. i was just worried about the gpu chipset getting fried but i guess this pascal technology is able to deal with high idle temps without a problem.

Feb 13, 2019
higher idle temps are not a problem, low spinning is not a problem.
I'd suggest you are more likely to have a problem with a fan failing to spin up from zero in the long term as friction and start up current increases, this will probably get worse quicker but having them stopped.
oh lol sorry i didnt read well, i havent sleep, so i will keep them at 30% on idle sir, thank you so much for helping me with this, i was so confused.

Feb 13, 2019
it really doesn't care below 60C, and thermal paste, think in terms of 3-4 years before replacing, you really shouldn't need to do it before you replace the card.
i was worried because i upgraded from a r 7 260x to this beast and it was a really hard work to put all the money together, so i cant even enjoy playing video games without thinking about my gpu possibly failling haha the irony. but im pretty sure you are right, fans will wear up faster if they go off and on all the time than having them on a low rpm speed at idle.

Phazoner

Distinguished
Sorry, just answered to the title.

I really don't know which option is better for the lifespan of the fans, if they stop working it will probably be a matter of bad luck and not that much about aging at any mode.

As 13thmonkey said, anything under 60ºC is perfectly fine (and probably even under 70ºC) but anyways I won't concern about idle temps and fans behavier at all. I don't know how good is that card in cooling terms but even before changing the thermal (if you are getting high temps under load) I would try to improve the airflow of the box, because it is rare to get a good thermal gain repasting the GPU, but the temperature in the box matters a lot.

Reactions: TomasVilla