[SOLVED] 1080p gaming on 4k TV?

Mikey Serious

Prominent
Apr 20, 2022
Hello.
I realize this is a stupid question (perhaps).
I have read a lot. But didn't get a straight answer.
I want a TV as a monitor.
Video card (3060Ti) does not pull 4k.
I want to play games and desktop at 1080p. How will they look on a 4k TV? Opinions are different.
QUESTION: Should I buy a 1080p TV or take a 4k TV and set it to 1080p on my desktop and in games?
No discussion needed. If you don't like it, please don't answer. Who can speak loudly and clearly.
In the store, the seller said - well. Forums + / - .
Can you, literate people, tell me.
PS I do not want a monitor. I want a 40 inch TV, but 4k has a lot of them. I know about imputlag. Distance to TV 60 centimeters (less than 2 feet). I know about eye damage. I'm already sitting at this, but 1080p. I am completely satisfied.
Thanks a lot for the opinions.

Solution
it depends on TV you buy, they all use upscalers, mine samsung 4K QLED has great upscaler, even 480p image looks nice, i use it for 1080p desktop and gaming aswell (works much better than 4K with high DPI settings), 1080p looks same as 4k i see no diff tbh even upclose
look at this website and see if your TV is there, if its there, then check how good that upscaler is at 1080p
https://www.rtings.com/tv
it depends on TV you buy, they all use upscalers, mine samsung 4K QLED has great upscaler, even 480p image looks nice, i use it for 1080p desktop and gaming aswell (works much better than 4K with high DPI settings), 1080p looks same as 4k i see no diff tbh even upclose
look at this website and see if your TV is there, if its there, then check how good that upscaler is at 1080p
https://www.rtings.com/tv

Reactions: Mikey Serious
Solution

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
A part of this will depend on how far away you sit from the TV.

I purchased a 4K Samsung that also does 1080p/120 in part because of its ability to do so. I sit 10+ feet from the TV and don't really see much difference when I switch to 4K when not gaming. It seems perhaps a bit more vivid, could be my imagination.

Mikey Serious

Prominent
Apr 20, 2022
A part of this will depend on how far away you sit from the TV.

I purchased a 4K Samsung that also does 1080p/120 in part because of its ability to do so. I sit 10+ feet from the TV and don't really see much difference when I switch to 4K when not gaming. It seems perhaps a bit more vivid, could be my imagination.
less than 2 feet. You have to see everything in person. I understand. This is a really difficult question. And it depends on the TV too.

hmmm...you would need to be very upclose to notice something tbh
but yes, just tested 4k vs 1080p upscaled picture logo from this forum a very very upclose (so you could see pixels)
and there is some differences...see for your self, original picture is that icon for "insert image" when editing post

this is how it looks like on 1080p
y4mXOvsZCaFXb6r-ShNocpaZVvIwpY4_4gWWbN36FkZyil3qw-1HqSEgC31dTAp42CTXw3lNIpNReEg9UDhcV4PY4-Hp7qKFhk6IAq6tKmowe972fwrUjEB8Lhb-WQ26DlNsr-ASKEO9Fn9_VmjGjpldp1ADupUMVLsqW2y98qMtA8x_dBHHRDofrrvL6GAn1zWPLI_R_pP03WJXlSVFsGzDWRqUWzlDRWdUVHfQcKUh8w

and this is how it looks like in native 4k
y4mza6MzEfLH5z7wsQxGZJFHUqYnVy7tnjJQH9laMXy85Wu18dtYWFlcD9AlK8g1m8dVOn6HXGr7of8xhiEQTU8UydJvstFjcmiwlolhMZnmf7qOmc0WsdVhaJ3Im4LHZhTaMZ3nq-rzOR_PxUny8sna9EJKrzmHYPfMawtr6mGxYZ2_2qfP1mRUPtQaKStJKeGhGZSRLE6ewQGCIBv5man90w5s0hyt_yQKDpqE8TzKzE

some extra hue...well its not something u see even upclose with eyes, but 10x zoom camera phone sees it xD

Mikey Serious

Prominent
Apr 20, 2022
hmmm...you would need to be very upclose to notice something tbh
but yes, just tested 4k vs 1080p upscaled picture logo from this forum a very very upclose (so you could see pixels)
and there is some differences...see for your self, original picture is that icon for "insert image" when editing post

this is how it looks like on 1080p
y4mXOvsZCaFXb6r-ShNocpaZVvIwpY4_4gWWbN36FkZyil3qw-1HqSEgC31dTAp42CTXw3lNIpNReEg9UDhcV4PY4-Hp7qKFhk6IAq6tKmowe972fwrUjEB8Lhb-WQ26DlNsr-ASKEO9Fn9_VmjGjpldp1ADupUMVLsqW2y98qMtA8x_dBHHRDofrrvL6GAn1zWPLI_R_pP03WJXlSVFsGzDWRqUWzlDRWdUVHfQcKUh8w

and this is how it looks like in native 4k
y4mza6MzEfLH5z7wsQxGZJFHUqYnVy7tnjJQH9laMXy85Wu18dtYWFlcD9AlK8g1m8dVOn6HXGr7of8xhiEQTU8UydJvstFjcmiwlolhMZnmf7qOmc0WsdVhaJ3Im4LHZhTaMZ3nq-rzOR_PxUny8sna9EJKrzmHYPfMawtr6mGxYZ2_2qfP1mRUPtQaKStJKeGhGZSRLE6ewQGCIBv5man90w5s0hyt_yQKDpqE8TzKzE

some extra hue...well its not something u see even upclose with eyes, but 10x zoom camera phone sees it xD
Thanks for this test. 1080p is more blurry. Indeed, you need to look very carefully.

Thanks for this test. 1080p is more blurry. Indeed, you need to look very carefully.
that blur is due to my phone i did several pictures and its kinda hard to make it crystal clear xD, just compare pixels themselfs, 1080p has some extra red/blue at edges, missing both mountain tops, smaller globe, pixel to pixel comparison, its not same...original picture size is about 1cm

Last edited:

Mikey Serious

Prominent
Apr 20, 2022
that blur is due to my phone i did several pictures and its kinda hard to make it crystal clear xD, just compare pixels themselfs, 1080p has some extra red/blue at edges, missing both mountain tops, smaller globe, pixel to pixel comparison, its not same...original picture size is about 1cm
Good. Say straight. Do you think 1080p on a 4k TV will look good? I understood correctly - the answer is yes. I definitely need to take this TV for a test. I'm still watching 43LM5777PLC LG (it's FullHD). I'm worried that there will be problems (Maybe not everywhere. Somewhere for sure).

May 26, 2022
We have incorporated a rundown of the best 4k TVs under $300. From TVs for a little family to the ideal setting for your gaming room, we've done our exploration to welcome you to the best arrangements on some heavenly TVs. Alongside this, we likewise attempt to give you an abundance of data on what makes each model so perfect and how they might have the option to satisfy your diversion needs.