Question 1080ti fans go full speed for 1-5sec sometimes but temps seem fine?

Oct 20, 2023
My gpu fans have, at random occasions - perhaps once, twice, or zero times per day revving up for 1-5seconds during a gaming session to ~4270-4287 rpm for 1-5 seconds. This started about a week ago and scared the hell out of me.

The gpu (1080ti, aorus edition) is 7 years old, and the temperature outside (and in my room) has been quite hot recently which seems to coincide with the issue. I checked the temperatures when it happens and they don't seem out of the ordinary. I also set a slightly more aggressive fan curve using afterburner to see if it would help, but it hasn't.

Does anyone have an idea what's causing it to do this or is it an indicator that the gpu is dying?

Here's a pic of the HWmonitor info where the max RPM of 4287 can be seen. (current/min/max for columns)
image.png

My Setup:
Gigabyte B650 AORUS ELITE AX ATX Motherboard

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D Processor

RAM: G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO RGB 32GB 6000MHz CL30 DDR5 Memory - AMD Expo

GPU: NVIDIA 1080ti Aorus Edition

PSU: Corsair RM1000x 80 PLUS Gold Fully Modular ATX 1000W - 6months old newly bought

Drives: Samsung 990PRO 2TB PCIe 4.0 (up to 7450 MB/s) NVMe M.2 (2280) Internal SSD, 200GB free
250 GB Kingston SSD (old/85% full)
4TB TOSHIBA HDWE140 (old/70% full)

Last edited:

Ralston18

Titan
Update your post to include full system hardware specs and OS information.

Include PSU: make, model, wattage, age, condition (original to build, new, refurbished, used)?

Disk drive(s): make, model, capacity, how full?

I think OP has updated their specs.

Anyway, the displayed HWMonitor data and specs seem okay/normal to me.

Sounds like a GPU issue more like. It could be on its last legs since it is quite old as well. Just my guess though. Have you checked the GPU fans for any dust being settled beneath them ? Is the GPU shroud a bit loose ?

Also clean the PCI-E slot on the mobo, reseat the GPU and test it again. It cannot be your current PSU since it is a high quality model, and is hardly 6 months old.

But what is the max RPM value of the GPU fans ?

Last edited: