1080ti lagging at 1080p and 1440p

Aug 1, 2018
I just upgraded to a 1080ti from a 1070 and now im actually getting worse performance!
I will get really bad stuttering on minecraft, bf1, fortnite, black ops 3. At 1080p ill get around 80fps (with drops of course) and then at 1440p ill only get around 55 without stability.

I have:
1080ti DUKE
i7 8700k
16gb ddr4 RAM 3700mhz

Aug 1, 2018

CPU is watercooled and never gets above 55c
GPU is aircooled but never gets above 60c
I have a Thermaltake - 650W 80+ Bronze

ameyer75

Reputable
May 17, 2017
It sounds like you're throttling. Have you tried adjusting your Voltage through Afterburner or something of the sort?

EDIT: I'm stupid and didn't see the power supply comment at the bottom.

THAT being said, you very well could be power throttling either at the card or at the supply.

Aug 1, 2018

i wouldnt know where to start with that
I have a TT 650 watt

Aug 1, 2018

how would I check if this is the case?

ameyer75

Reputable
May 17, 2017
If it's the voltage, try this. Download a program like MSI Afterburner and install it. When the program launches, there are several bars that can be adjusted. You want to adjust the Core Voltage up. This will enable your card to pull more power. If it's a voltage throttle, you'll notice a difference almost immediately.

If you're worried about doing it correctly, check out this link. It's from JayzTwoCents. It's an older video, but he uses Afterburner and the only thing he covers is changing the core voltage. He does a great job explaining what's happening too. Let us know how it goes.

TJ Hooker

Titan
Ambassador

This is backwards. Increasing voltage will increase power draw, making you more likely to hit the power limit and throttle. If you are worried that you're hitting the power limit, you'd need to increase the power target and/or lower the voltage.

ameyer75

Reputable
May 17, 2017
No, I’m saying that his GPU is hitting a power ceiling. The easy way to rule out the gpu being an issue is to give it some more power. If the issue persists, then it’s the power supply.

ameyer75

Reputable
May 17, 2017

So... First things first, I think a 650W power supply is more than enough to handle this build, assuming there aren't any crazy overclocks happening. What I'm suggesting isn't to troubleshoot the power supply, it's to troubleshoot the GPU. Now, the thought is that the GPU is hitting a built in power ceiling. You can use overclocking software to raise the power ceiling without changing clock speeds. If the poster raises the ceiling and the issues go away, then there may be a physical issue with the GPU. IF the poster ups the power ceiling and the stuttering gets worse, then we can safely assume that it's either the motherboard or the power supply.

This is really just a relatively easy way to rule out the 1080ti without having to swap hardware and spend extra time or money.

Aug 1, 2018

Yeah no i dont have any overclock, do I just increase the voltage? or do I need to take any other steps?