Question 1080ti literally smoking, source of problem?

damiansden

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2013
Hey guys. So a couple months ago I was playing overwatch and my computer suddenly just turned off and never powered on again. I took it to Canada computers to get checked out.
The service tested a new psu on suspicion that it failed and their first psu tested instantly stopped working. They tested a second one and it too instantly stopped working except this time they said the 1080ti graphics card was smoking. They didn’t test anymore psu’s after suggesting the gpu was faulty and overloading the psu. I have thermal pastes regularly taken care of. I had built the computer 6 years ago at ncix with the guidance of one of the employees. They made sure the psu was sufficient for the build, there is no cooling outside of what comes default. I used the acer monitor that is 27” and 165fps at 1440.

I just wanted another opinion if it was the fault of the gpu and I got a lemon? It ran steadily at 84C which I thought was high but the TOMS hardware bot said that for a 6th gen intel processor and 1080ti, this is a temperature within its operating range.